LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fashionable (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877)

Hank Chinaski 05-13-2015 09:23 PM

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch (Post 496133)
Hitler had a daughter? I thought he was unmarried? :confused:

I'm Jewish so I've never focused on hitler's family details. Maybe he was never married, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have a kid. He broke a few Church rules, I believe.

Tyrone Slothrop 05-13-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 496132)
I can't read the thing, it's too long, and it's more like what Hitler's daughter might write about her dad. Would you at least paraphrase and redact down to what you feel?

If you don't want to read it, don't read it.

Quote:

Or just answer this- do you feel the Pats fumbling less than anyone, and the balls being low on air are unrelated?
I have not spent a lot of time reading this stuff, and maybe for that reason am not convinced there's anything more than an interesting correlation.

Hank Chinaski 05-13-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 496136)

I have not spent a lot of time reading this stuff, and maybe for that reason am not convinced there's anything more than an interesting correlation.

Smh.

Pretty Little Flower 05-13-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hank chinaski (Post 496137)
smh.

pptmhgh.

Hank Chinaski 05-13-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower (Post 496138)
pptmhgh.

2, tiitiaoeilwbinswyam

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-13-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'm convinced there's not actually a correlation. Or even an abnormal fumble rate.

http://statsbylopez.com/2015/05/09/glmm/

Hank Chinaski 05-13-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 496140)
I'm convinced there's not actually a correlation. Or even an abnormal fumble rate.

http://statsbylopez.com/2015/05/09/glmm/

k, I now assume Burger is just messin

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-13-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 496141)
k, I now assume Burger is just messin

I thought you were a scientist and could understand that stuff.

tl;dr version is that Warren Sharp looked at raw stats like fumbles per play, but didn't consider the types of plays the patriots were running - for example a much larger number of kneel downs and spikes. When you look at just non-QB runs and receptions, there's no odd aberration.

Atticus Grinch 05-13-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 496135)
I'm Jewish so I've never focused on hitler's family details. Maybe he was never married, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have a kid. He broke a few Church rules, I believe.

It’s not often you whiff, but when you do it’s a biggun.

Sidd Finch 05-14-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch (Post 496133)
Hitler had a daughter? I thought he was unmarried? :confused:

Let me guess: When you were growing up, your parents taught you "The first one can come anytime. The rest all take nine months."

greatwhitenorthchick 05-14-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower (Post 496134)
I thought his balls were deflated? :eek:

I like the way that song rhymes Himmler with similar.

Did you just call me Coltrane? 05-14-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick (Post 496122)
Here is my missed connection again, this time with more flirting for ncs (I think the nudity in the avatar is sufficent):

NotBob, I saw you on 44th Street (wink). You were on the phone talking about sports, perhaps (hair flip), and I was with a colleague walking to a meeting (wink wink). I did not say hi -- I apologize profusely (hair flip), I forgot your real name (wink wink) and I didn't want to interrupt your call (which may not have been about sports) (wink wink) and say Hi NotBob (hair flip), which would have confused my colleague (butt wiggle) and also perhaps you (wink wink).

Now I remember your real name (butt wiggle, hair flip wink wink). It came to me about 5 min after we passed you (wink wink).

I hope all is well with you. Lookin' good! (sexy smile, hair flip, butt wiggle, wink wink)

I'm glad the butt wiggle works for you. I get weird looks when I do it.

Replaced_Texan 05-14-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? (Post 496146)
I'm glad the butt wiggle works for you. I get weird looks when I do it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/A6H1A9rhetsXK/giphy.gif

ThurgreedMarshall 05-14-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 496130)
I think the idea that the NFL lets each team doctor its own footballs (within limits) is silly. Teams haven't been playing with the same balls for years.

I completely agree. But I don't see what this has to do with anything. The NFL acceded to Brady's (and other quarterback's) requests to use their own balls as long as those balls met certain minimum standards. This wasn't good enough for Brady, so he broke the rule. And no one is going to convince me he wasn't instructing those guys to break the rule.

Quote:

In particular, the idea that the Colts complained about the Patriots *before* this game and the NFL let things proceed as they did makes a mockery of the idea that they really care about the integrity of play.

I hadn't heard it was before the game, but if they had, I agree with you there. Although, it seems possible that the refs were told to really check the balls carefully when submitted before the game and they checked out. And then they may have noticed they were underinflated sometime during the first half and checked them and switched them out at halftime.

Quote:

Although I generally agree that 2 games is probably appropriate, here's the problem with your article:

"Almost nobody believed anything anyone from the Patriots said back then, and the only way to keep yourself sane at all was to remind yourself that this entire mishegas was over the amount of air present in the footballs used in the first half of a 45-7 game."

The fact that Brady refused to cooperate with the investigation is telling to me. I think they've been deflating balls for years. But at the very least, they surely deflated the balls in the close-fought, cold-weather Baltimore game the week before. And Brady may not be handling this well with all the clumsy cover-up, but he and the Patriots (and the NFL, for that matter), have succeeded in limiting scrutiny by everyone looking at this to the first half of the Indy blowout. Ridiculous. Like I said, a properly-inflated ball is much harder to catch in the cold because it's much slicker and harder to grip. The outcome of that Baltimore game could easily have been affected by the manipulation of the footballs Brady used.

Quote:

That said, I'm not interested in defending Brady, for the reasons stated by Pierce. I am somewhat more inclined to defend the team, again for the reasons stated by Pierce. The penalties levied by the NFL are highly proportionate to the league's desire to appear to be tough, but not to the gravity of what happened relative to other things the league has ever penalized.

Agree. But you can't separate Brady's actions from the organization. And you guys got caught for fucking filming another team's practice. If the NFL is going to increase the severity of punishment for players based on past infractions, I don't know why they shouldn't with the teams.

TM

ThurgreedMarshall 05-14-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

If you don't want to read it, then don't read it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._pressure.html

Unlike Burger's link, this one deals pretty fairly with the full debate over the fumble issue.

TM