LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years! (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885)

Tyrone Slothrop 08-28-2021 05:23 PM

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 531847)
So just let the women be fucked? We can’t try to improve anything anywhere?

It's like you haven't even seen that episode of Madame Secretary.

Adder 08-29-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

We can’t kill our way to improving the world. See the last 20 years.

Adder 08-29-2021 10:00 PM

My nieces’ grandma and her husband aren’t vaccinated. They had Covid already, so they probably have some immunity, but I cannot tell you how angry I am that they won’t either stay the fuck away or get the jab form the granddaughters who aren’t old enough.

It was the older one’s 5th birthday and my brother’s um.... I would have told them not to come. Apparently others in the family are less of an asshole. I should have said something to them. They are inside with my nieces right now.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 08-30-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

In retrospect, one of our greatest failings was the CivOps operation. We convinced few and alienated many.

If your goal is social change, I suspect $4T could have been spent more productively, and the death toll could have been kept below a quarter million.

Tyrone Slothrop 08-30-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 531852)
In retrospect, one of our greatest failings was the CivOps operation. We convinced few and alienated many.

If your goal is social change, I suspect $4T could have been spent more productively, and the death toll could have been kept below a quarter million.

I think there are many people in Afghanistan who would prefer something else to the Taliban, but that doesn't mean they can create a legitimate, durable government.

sebastian_dangerfield 09-01-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 531842)
I do not recall anyone here saying we should not have gone in, and to me that is still a no-brainer. But in retrospect we supported guerrillas, not really people bound to govern. Still I think early on there was a sense that they could defend themselves eventually. And the hell the women experienced there then, and are again, is a hard thing not to try to change.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/t...s-what-happens

The movie cited in the article contains several great lines. One of the best, paraphrased as accurately as I can recall is, "You can't create peace within a country by invading it."

Bush I understood this in Iraq. Probably because he was not a McKinsey sort. He didn't run models. He didn't apply metrics from afar as would an MBA. Because he'd actually been to war and accumulated decades of experience in foreign affairs on the ground - working directly with other nations - he was humble enough and shrewd enough to view Hussein as a lamentable but necessary garbage pail lid that kept a festering pile of shit from leaking around the greater middle east.

His son, OTOH, w/no experience, and Dick Cheney, the very worst form of Beltway know-it-all consultant-think operative, had nothing but hubris. "They'll greet us as liberators." And of course, once you've broken all the china, put a guy like Bremmer, a half-wit middle manager, in charge of the whole thing.

There are many lousy reasons Americans distrust people calling themselves experts. There are just as many quite valid ones. Colin Powell might've on to something far more than he knew when he said people who haven't gone to war aren't the right people to make decisions about going to war.

Maybe add to that, policy wonks and MBAs who don't have any direct experience with the culture they're liberating are the last people who should be guiding any of our foreign policy, let alone military interventions.

We can't force democracy on the rest of the world for two reasons. First, many cultures simply don't want it. Second, the alleged best and the brightest who task themselves with doing so are just as often incompetents as they are experts.

sebastian_dangerfield 09-01-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 531850)
We can’t kill our way to improving the world. See the last 20 years.

Exactly. But this is controversial, it being counterintuitive to modeling and that shows that if you take over a country at gunpoint with thousands of soldiers and then install a puppet government to run it, all the while bulldozing the established social/political/commercial systems of the country which have been established over hundreds of years, the locals will greet you with open arms.

This also runs counter to the eminently researched white papers of men like Wolfowitz, Perle, and Kristol, who've seen "nation building" up close, feet on the ground. It runs smack in the face of their assessment, shared by the executive suite of Raytheon, General Dynamics, and Halliburton, that what really dogged us in Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan was a simple lack of will. That Horatio Alger ethos, and that belief in Manifest Destiny of democracy worldwide (the Bush Doctrine) simply eludes us. It is our lack of backbone, our fatigued spirit and amnesia for the Gipper's never-say-die attitude, that racks up the Ls instead of the Ws.

(Nevermind, of course, that the Gipper, like Bush II, used surgical strikes in response to the attack on Marines in Lebanon, and in response to Gaddafi, and never once considered "nation building" in either location, realizing it was hopeless.)

sebastian_dangerfield 09-01-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 531840)
Did anyone honestly believe we could fix Afghanistan when we went in? If so, those people should be anywhere near decisions.

We will never have a govt run by truly useful experts because if you're a truly useful expert you're probably in the CIA, mopping up the fuck-ups of the policy experts working in elected offices.

Beltway lifers are limited. Their knowledge is blindered to anything outside the institution in which they're working. Everything is seen thru the prism of what their agency does. And they protect their lanes like a mother bear protecting cubs, as that's their job security. This is how you wind up with every agency operating like a disconnected tentacle rather than coordinating. Twenty years removed from 9/11, which in part was a failure of coordination, do you think anything has really changed? I doubt it. Instead of even trying to coordinate them organically, we instead developed a whole new bureaucracy - Homeland Security - to attempt to meld their resources to a common aim.

Covid was an earthquake where we really needed a Krakatoa level event. I walked away from the assessment that we needed a complete meltdown of our govt followed by a reboot from the ground up many years ago. I find myself reconsidering that position today. I may have been right early on, and complacent in the intervening years. We're just so fucking stupid.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 09-01-2021 10:22 AM

The American Taliban

So Texas is now offering $10,000 bounties.

My understanding is the Taliban's bounties were never more than a couple hundred dollars.

Replaced_Texan 09-01-2021 10:53 AM

I'd like to extend a hearty "Fuck you" to anyone who ever said, "don't worry about Roe, they'll never touch it. It'd be suicide and the end of their cash cow."

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 09-01-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan (Post 531858)
I'd like to extend a hearty "Fuck you" to anyone who ever said, "don't worry about Roe, they'll never touch it. It'd be suicide and the end of their cash cow."

Griswold next.

Replaced_Texan 09-01-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 531859)
Griswold next.

Oh absolutely.

Pretty Little Flower 09-01-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan (Post 531858)

Um, Sebastian is right up there and can probably hear you …

sebastian_dangerfield 09-01-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower (Post 531861)
Um, Sebastian is right up there and can probably hear you …

I have come in recent years to recognize that I have certain flaws in my assessments. Much like an economist, I assume rational actors too often. Much like an old line Republican who's perhaps not been as close to the hoi polloi of Social Conservativeland as I might be, I have a misguided assumption that some wise old moderate will always squash the most lurid demands of the Jesus Freaks.

The suicide bombers have the wheel. My gin soaked analyses of what will happen in the GOP might as well be from 1978.

I'd say I'm surprised, that I go to school every day. And I am, but I won't, because whatever leads to the sort of troglodyte reactive politics that caused this abortion debacle in TX I don't really want to understand. It's mental illness.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 09-01-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan (Post 531860)
Oh absolutely.

I'm somewhat upset at all the comparisons of Texas to the Taliban.

The Taliban are traditionalists reacting against a modernizing society that to a great degree has caused violence, poverty, and chaos in their communities.

The Texiban are traditionalists who have been enriched and empowered by a modernizing society who are upset at the trade offs, including not having women under their thumbs.

The Texiban are much worse than the Taliban by many measures.