LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tailgate Party (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Sports Talk (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27)

John_Galt, Esquire 04-03-2003 01:46 PM

NHL Playoffs

Any Hockey Fans Out There????

Who do you think is going to skate with the Sanley Cup???

Can the Red Wings repeat????

Tyrone Slothrop 04-04-2003 12:29 AM

Heels

So, what about Matt Doherty getting fired? At the least, it wasn't handled well. MJ's not happy about it either.

Anne Elk 04-07-2003 04:17 PM

Heels

Quote:

Originally posted by Tyrone_Slothrop
So, what about Matt Doherty getting fired? At the least, it wasn't handled well. MJ's not happy about it either.
Whoever followed Dean Smith was doomed. His shoes were just too big. Haven't read much about it, up here in the northeast but it seems liek a program heading for some down years when the players start telling the administration what to do.

Tyrone Slothrop 04-07-2003 05:04 PM

Heels

Quote:

Originally posted by Anne Elk
Whoever followed Dean Smith was doomed. His shoes were just too big. Haven't read much about it, up here in the northeast but it seems liek a program heading for some down years when the players start telling the administration what to do.
You mean, whoever followed whoever followed Dean Smith. Don't forget about Bill Guthridge!

It was very unfair of UNC to Roy Williams to fire Doherty when they did. They could have waited until tomorrow, or, better yet, a week from tomorrow.

Anne Elk 04-07-2003 05:30 PM

Heels

Quote:

Originally posted by Tyrone_Slothrop
You mean, whoever followed whoever followed Dean Smith. Don't forget about Bill Guthridge!

It was very unfair of UNC to Roy Williams to fire Doherty when they did. They could have waited until tomorrow, or, better yet, a week from tomorrow.
Whoops! My bad. See how big those shoes are, they swallowed up Bill Guthridge too!

They should have waited until the Tourney was over before they made the move, although the AD probably wanted to network at the Final Four and shop for his new coach.

This came up today, do you think their should be a loser's bracket? In other words, have Marquette and Texas play for 3rd place before the Big Game tonight? More money for the teams and the NCAA.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 04-07-2003 05:56 PM

Heels

Quote:

Originally posted by Anne Elk

This came up today, do you think their should be a loser's bracket? In other words, have Marquette and Texas play for 3rd place before the Big Game tonight? More money for the teams and the NCAA.
Of course, they had that until 1980 or so, and it was eliminated. No one wants to see losers, and no one wants to lose two straight. You can come up with an interesting matchup in that game ever couple of years, but ultimately no one cares.

Seems like third-place games are out of fashion -- they ditched it in the hockey tournament as well.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-28-2003 03:24 PM

ACC/Big East

What has happened to this? Is Miami still taking bids, or are BC and the 'Cuse realizing that maybe the switch of conferences isn't such a good idea?

pony_trekker 08-30-2003 07:20 AM

http://www.hfnzone.com/

Every football fan should subscribe. It's great.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 02-05-2004 10:02 AM

Clarett eligible for NFL draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Not surprising. Will college football die like college basketball?

sgtclub 02-05-2004 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Not surprising. Will college football die like college basketball?
No. The difference between the NFL and college football is far bigger than any other pro leage and its college equivalent. The bottom line is that 99.999999% of the college kids are not physically prepared for the pro game.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 02-05-2004 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sgtclub
. The bottom line is that 99.999999% of the college kids are not physically prepared for the pro game.
Sure, but teh players don't seem to realize that when they declare for the draft.

If the NCAA wanted to save its sports, it would decide to permit anyone who registers for the draft to maintain their college eligibility until they sign a contract. I've never understood why they want to punish folks who want to see what their market value is. Clearly it hasn't detered marginal candidates from doing so anyway, as I assume it was intended to do (i.e., you ought to be really sure of your decision).

NotFromHere 02-05-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Sure, but teh players don't seem to realize that when they declare for the draft.

If the NCAA wanted to save its sports, it would decide to permit anyone who registers for the draft to maintain their college eligibility until they sign a contract. I've never understood why they want to punish folks who want to see what their market value is. Clearly it hasn't detered marginal candidates from doing so anyway, as I assume it was intended to do (i.e., you ought to be really sure of your decision).
If the NFL drags the appeals for a few more years, what good does that do him?

And even if college age kids don't realize that they're not physically able to compete, the NFL players certainly know that. And isn't that what the players union is for?

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 02-05-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NotFromHere
If the NFL drags the appeals for a few more years, what good does that do him?

And even if college age kids don't realize that they're not physically able to compete, the NFL players certainly know that. And isn't that what the players union is for?
The one thing any union knows is that prices/salaries are kept up by excluding entrants. Why do you think it costs so much to get a plumber? Unions. That's why this restriction was more suspect--it wasn't for benefits among players already in the union--it was a union deciding whom to let in, in collusion with the league.

As for appeals, the league will need a stay. The District judge won't grant one, because a) she' thinks there's no likelihood of ultimate success adn b) the harms tip in his favor--let him into the draft, and decide later to void the pick , if necessary. So they have to get an appeals court to issue a stay and/or decision before mid-April (or whenever the draft is). Unless they have a dead-bang winner of an argument, which I don't understand them to have (rather, it's a net benefit proposition), they are in trouble on this one. Of course, they may win on appeal, and Clarett will be a one-off oddity.

NotFromHere 02-10-2004 03:18 PM

Smokin in Atlanta

Blazers' Wallace traded to Hawks; Abdur-Rahim, Dickau to Portland

there better be good pot in Atlanta
But am I the only one who thinks that Portland got a waaay better deal on this one?

My favorite quote from the article..."This trade helps the franchise in many ways," Trail Blazers president Steve Patterson said. "We get a younger core of players and can remain competitive in both the Western Conference and the league.

"Another factor in the deal is that we are also acquiring three players of good character."

SlaveNoMore 02-10-2004 03:52 PM

Smokin in Atlanta

Quote:

NotFromHere
But am I the only one who thinks that Portland got a waaay better deal on this one?
Clearly, because the Hawks will now be $50 mil under the cap next year and can practically buy a title.

Portland got stuck with 1 1/2 years of big contracts.