LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cellphones and Other Wireless (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513)

Replaced_Texan 07-08-2010 06:07 PM

Re: Cellphones and Other Wireless

So my cell phone is almost dead. It works in that it functions perfectly when it's charged, but the port is fucked and it no longer charges nor can it connect via port to any other system. I'm waiting for an external battery charger to arrive so I can recharge and send all the crap on it over to Verizon's website.

Then I have a few choices.

I'm out of contract with Verizon, and I'm kinda happy that way. I generally use my phone for talk and text, but I'm not adverse to advancing with the rest of the human race to a smart phone.

Until the "no longer charges the battery" issue came up with my phone, my plan was to limp along on with the talk and text until Apple announced its deal with Verizon and then jump on the Verizon iphone. I figured this was probably going to happen in late 2010/early 2011 based off of reading wild internet conjecture. Everyone I know with an AT&T iphone is impossible to get in touch with via telephone because of the crappy coverage around here. OTOH, they all love all the other crap that comes with the iPhone, so maybe telephone part is irrelevant. Work compatibility doesn't really factor into this as I refuse to sync my phone with work e-mail.

Important note: RT is stubbornly cheap about these sorts of things.

My options, as I see them now, are

1. Grab the (relatively new at the time) Verizon phone my dad dumped the second the iphone came out, plug in my SIM card, and continue with original plan of stubbornly waiting for the Verizon iPhone.

2. Get a free LG Ally Droid with another 2 year contract with Verizon and suck up the full replacement cost whenever the Verizon iphone comes out, and hell, that might actually be two years and I may be out of contract again by that point.

3. Join the rest of civilized society, pay the $99 and get an iPhone through AT&T, enduring dropped calls and crappy customer service.

Anyone have any sources of wisdom to help inform this indecision?

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 07-08-2010 06:28 PM

I would not stubbornly wait for the Verizon iPhone. It has to await the LTE buildout, which means that for some period there's likely to be crappy service at least on it. So either of the other two options.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 07-30-2010 03:18 PM

Wiki listing pay as you go international iphone options.

http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wik...medium=twitter

Penske 2.0 08-01-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 430256)
Wiki listing pay as you go international iphone options.

http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wik...medium=twitter

Any update on AT&T's plans to enable the use of the tethering feature on the iPhone in the US?

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 08-01-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penske 2.0 (Post 430301)
Any update on AT&T's plans to enable the use of the tethering feature on the iPhone in the US?

Yes -- they announced it in June. It's a $20 add-on (I think) to the iPhone data plan. But you have to switch to the 2GB data plan--can't keep your unlimited plan and tether.

Penske 2.0 08-17-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 430306)
Yes -- they announced it in June. It's a $20 add-on (I think) to the iPhone data plan. But you have to switch to the 2GB data plan--can't keep your unlimited plan and tether.

That's a real Morton's fork. :(:(:(

taxwonk 11-29-2010 09:00 PM

So, has anybody resolved the iPhone v. HTC debate yet? My contract on the Iphone 3G is almost up and I'm no big fan of the touchscreen or the rapidly declining battery time. On the other hand, one of the relatively few things I use my iPhone for that I can't do just as easily on almost any phone is use it as an iPod.

Can the Droid system sync and play music from iTunes pretty seamlessly?

Adder 11-29-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxwonk (Post 439444)

When I was making that choice, about a year ago, the answer was no. Which I think is an integral part of Apple's strategy.

I bought the 3GS and have been happy with it, but you know the issues. I use it more as an ipod than as a phone, so its okay.

Icky Thump 11-29-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxwonk (Post 439444)
So, has anybody resolved the iPhone v. HTC debate yet? My contract on the Iphone 3G is almost up and I'm no big fan of the touchscreen or the rapidly declining battery time. On the other hand, one of the relatively few things I use my iPhone for that I can't do just as easily on almost any phone is use it as an iPod.

Iphone 4 really solves the battery life issues.

I don't charge my iphone every day and I can't remember the last time it went red.

They haven't solved the inability to make a single undropped call longer than a minute though.

Penske 2.0 12-17-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icky Thump (Post 439449)
Iphone 4 really solves the battery life issues.

I don't charge my iphone every day and I can't remember the last time it went red.

They haven't solved the inability to make a single undropped call longer than a minute though.

Fuck em. Who wants to talk to those a-holes anyway. Send me a fucking email and I'll respond promptly......shortly after never. no offence.