LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Curiosities in the public record (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111)

TexLex 04-04-2003 06:31 PM

Partner Gramar

Quote:

Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
I have no problem editing their work. 90% of the time they don't realize that they had misplaced an "only" or improperly used (or not used) a hyphen). What gets me is when they, upon reviewing a later draft, change it back to its original, incorrect form. I guess, at bottom, I don't really want to discuss grammar with a partner, since it necessarily calls a shortcoming to their attention (and I don't argue the points I'm not sure of); it's somehow different than saying something like "I think the general trendof the cases is contrary to the position you want to take" (translation: every circuit has held directly opposite that which you want to argue).
If my name is anywhere on it, it will be correct. Truth is, I only deal with my own work, which is never reviewed by anyone and if I fix the boss' work (usually only because I happen to catch a glaring mistake fresh off the printer, not because I am supposed to be dealing with his stuff) I tell the assistant to change it and he never notices. I have been know to say "X, this sounds like crap and it would make more sense this way...." If he argues and wants to sound like an idiot, if his name is on it, I let it go, but he usually agrees in the end. We do not share clients, so it does not affect me if he wants to sound like an idiot.

-T(tells it like it is)L

pretermitted_child 04-04-2003 07:49 PM

Bad headline

Quote:

Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
[Humanity is divided] into three distinct classes. At the top, people who use ["forte"] with one syllable. Then people who use it to impress but mispronounce it, with unintentionally bourgeois results. Then, at the bottom, the people who don't know what it means anyway.
And then there is a separate, elite class of people who can't pronounce the word "nuclear," whose membership apparently includes Eisenhower, Kennedy, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and the Bushes.

AngryMulletMan 04-04-2003 10:05 PM

Nucular war worthy

Heck, where I grew up, people worshed their clothes and asked "Jeet yet?" whenever company came to visit.

So I am not exactly an authority on grammar, usage or even punctuation. But I know what makes my ears bleed and that, my friends, is hearing some ass-jack go on and on about looking for a house with em's reel-uh-tur. Sheesh!

tmdiva 04-04-2003 10:53 PM

Grammar partners

Quote:

Any victory in such an exchange will most likely be a phyrric one.
You meant "pyrrhic," right?

tm
yes, that's short for timmy

pretermitted_child 04-04-2003 11:28 PM

Ouch!

Quote:

Originally posted by tmdiva
You meant "pyrrhic," right?

tm
yes, that's short for timmy
How embarrassing! You are absolutely correct. :D

The score is currently:

tmdiva: 1
pretermitted_child: 0

(If it gets any worse, I may have to change my title. :bow: )

-pc

pretermitted_child 04-05-2003 04:36 PM

They so cool they don't need no gramma

Quote:

Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
Even when you win the argument by citing to a reliable source, some assjack is always willing to say that nobody observes that rule anymore, and it has better "flow" the way they wanted it.
Yep, the Better Flow argument is the justification of last resort.

The only instance where I would find the Better Flow argument convincing -- if not compelling -- would be if I were preparing rap lyrics for my client.

Indeed, the following autobiographical ditty by eminem just wouldn't be the same if it had proper grammar, which would vitiate its creative force:

Now how the f**k did this metamorphosis happen
From standin' on corners and porches just rappin'
To havin' a fortune, no more kissin' ass
But then these critics crucify you, journalists try to burn you
Fans turn on you, attorneys all want a turn at you
To get they hands on every dime you have, they want you to lose your mind every time you mad
So they can try to make you out to look like a loose cannon
Any dispute won't hesitate to produce handguns
That's why these prosecutors wanna convict me, strictly just to get me off of these streets quickly
But all they kids be listenin' to me religiously, so i'm signin' cd's while police fingerprint me

-Eminem - "Sing For The Moment"

pretermitted_child 04-06-2003 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
From now on, American Heritage has my heart. Oxford American, begone.
A spirited discussion of lexicons cannot be complete without mentioning Black's Law Dictionary.

Bryan Garner, its editor-in-chief, has written a fascinating article in the Winter 2003 issue of The Green Bag, entitled: Legal Lexicography: A View from the Front Lines. The cite is 6 Green Bag 2d 151 (which is available on both Westlaw and Lexis).

This quote provides a plausible explanation of those times when I have been flummoxed:

Henry Campbell Black had been pretty systematic in his entries, the various contributors to the book in the third through sixth editions--most of whom were anonymous--had allowed the book to sprout all sorts of stylistic inconsistencies. Meanwhile, as far as I have been able to tell, they hadn't really been trained in lexicography.

6 Green Bag 2d at 155.

coup_d'skek 04-06-2003 06:24 PM

We Don't Have to Show You No Stinking Grammars

Quote:

Originally posted by pretermitted_child
Yep, the Better Flow argument is the justification of last resort.[/I]
The only people I've ever gotten that empty criticism from are teachers, the worst offenders being English teachers, not because they are little velveteen dictators, but rather because they don't know how to teach writing and are too lazy to learn.

Maybe I've been lucky, but the lawyers I've worked for are generally competent with grammar. Like everybody, they may some mistakes or have some preferences I disagree with. I'm conservative about pointing out mistakes. I only point out things I think my superior would appreciate knowing about. This is in part because I don't like to be regarded as a nitpicking or letting my ego get in the way of getting the job done, and also in part because I regard a lot of grammatical rules as matters of personal preference.

coup_d'skek 04-06-2003 06:25 PM

Ouch!

Quote:

(If it gets any worse, I may have to change my title. :bow: )
You're so sexy when you genuflect.

pretermitted_child 04-07-2003 11:59 PM

Ouch!

Quote:

Originally posted by coup_d'skek
You're so sexy when you genuflect.
Why, thank you.

I suppose groveling, then, would make me positively irresistable. ;)

-pc

tmdiva 04-08-2003 01:58 AM

Another grrrrr moment

In Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser repeatedly (okay, twice in two pages) refers to E.Coli @#$%^ (whichever strain it is that kills people--I don't feel like looking it up at the moment) as "hearty" or "heartier."

This is not the first time I've seen this error. It's right up there with "diffuse" instead of "defuse" and "loathe" instead of "loath."

Ugh.

tm
timmier than thou

Allytigator 04-08-2003 02:20 PM

Ouch!

Quote:

Why, thank you.

I suppose groveling, then, would make me positively irresistable. ;)

-pc

Or irresistible, such as the case may be.

[TM Diva's not the only spelling timmy!]

Allytigator ;)

pretermitted_child 04-08-2003 04:24 PM

Ouch! Ouch!

Quote:

Originally posted by Allytigator
Or irresistible, such as the case may be.

[TM Diva's not the only spelling timmy!]

Allytigator ;)
It seems as if I have a knack for bringing out everyone's inner timmy. :eek:

I'll change my title. :bow:

The score is now:

timmys (or is it timmies?): 2
pretermitted_child: 0

pretermitted(where's the spellcheck button?)child

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 04-08-2003 04:34 PM

Ouch! Ouch!

Quote:

timmys (or is it timmies?)

I think the current preferred spelling is timmy's

tmdiva 04-08-2003 05:10 PM

Ouch! Ouch!

Quote:

Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
I think the current preferred spelling is timmy's
Lord help me, that made me laugh out loud.

tm