LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years! (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885)

Tyrone Slothrop 08-20-2021 01:00 PM

Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines.

Tyrone Slothrop 08-20-2021 08:48 PM

help wanted

I need a good paralegal, preferably with corporate/transactional skills, not litigation, for 3-6 months. Can be totally remote. Any of you law-firm types want to do a secondment?

Hank Chinaski 08-21-2021 09:06 AM

Re: help wanted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 531835)
I need a good paralegal, preferably with corporate/transactional skills, not litigation, for 3-6 months. Can be totally remote. Any of you law-firm types want to do a secondment?

Now you’re sorry you ran PPNYC off?

Replaced_Texan 08-24-2021 11:22 AM

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield (Post 531832)
Never sue another lawyer for malpractice. You'd think "Don't shit in your nest" would be a basic rule, but in any city, there are three of four guys who can't get clients any other way who hold themselves out as guys who sue other lawyers. And almost every one of them is exactly the sort of shitty human being you'd expect.

I have a friend who is a lawyer malpractice lawyer. He's a super nice guy and I always have to remind myself what he does because it seems so different from his personality. I do see some pretty egregious stuff from lawyers from time to time, but nothing that I'd recommend him for. His stories are usually pretty jaw dropping.

I deal with the doctor malpractice lawyers a lot more often.

sebastian_dangerfield 08-24-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan (Post 531837)
I have a friend who is a lawyer malpractice lawyer. He's a super nice guy and I always have to remind myself what he does because it seems so different from his personality. I do see some pretty egregious stuff from lawyers from time to time, but nothing that I'd recommend him for. His stories are usually pretty jaw dropping.

I deal with the doctor malpractice lawyers a lot more often.

Real, valid legal malpractice cases are rare. To prove one, plaintiff has to prove it'd have enjoyed a positive result but for the negligence (prove the claimant would have won its case, in an instance of alleged litigation malpractice). Usually difficult.

The guys who do it that I've encountered aren't terribly discerning. I think most have to take a high volume of cases, many dubious, to keep the lights on. The business model seems to be shaking down the law firm to see if it'll cough up a settlement and if not, then getting a sleazy expert to state that the claimant definitely would have won the case but for the alleged negligence. It's so speculative, except in real cut and dry instances (truly egregious failures) the expert is basically fictionalizing a future which probably would not have occurred.

I refuse to refer people who want to make legal malpractice claims. I've sold enough of my soul for money. I can't get into that sewer for a referral fee.

ETA: I'm already doomed to hell for having been involved in med mal work long ago.

LessinSF 08-25-2021 05:30 PM

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...fe&oe=614A9C6E

Adder 08-25-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessinSF (Post 531839)

An important lesson in clearly defining the mission from the start and how easy it is for interests that benefit from mission creep to make it happen.

Did anyone honestly believe we could fix Afghanistan when we went in? If so, those people should be anywhere near decisions.

But you see how it happens in the press coverage of how the current situation might be bad for Biden and the Dems. We are finally engaged with reality and making hard choices. You might even call that leadership (and yes, the former guy was there, sorta, too).

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 08-26-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessinSF (Post 531839)

On the plus side, this is a big improvement over our record in Iraq.

Hank Chinaski 08-26-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 531840)
An important lesson in clearly defining the mission from the start and how easy it is for interests that benefit from mission creep to make it happen.

Did anyone honestly believe we could fix Afghanistan when we went in? If so, those people should be anywhere near decisions.

But you see how it happens in the press coverage of how the current situation might be bad for Biden and the Dems. We are finally engaged with reality and making hard choices. You might even call that leadership (and yes, the former guy was there, sorta, too).

I do not recall anyone here saying we should not have gone in, and to me that is still a no-brainer. But in retrospect we supported guerrillas, not really people bound to govern. Still I think early on there was a sense that they could defend themselves eventually. And the hell the women experienced there then, and are again, is a hard thing not to try to change.

LessinSF 08-26-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 531842)
I do not recall anyone here saying we should not have gone in, and to me that is still a no-brainer. But in retrospect we supported guerrillas, not really people bound to govern. Still I think early on there was a sense that they could defend themselves eventually. And the hell the women experienced there then, and are again, is a hard thing not to try to change.

I did. Repeatedly. (If we only had a search function.)

Adder 08-27-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

I thought and think that we needed to go in to get Al Qaeda. We should have limited ourselves to that.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 08-27-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

I can verify Less was anti-going in from the beginning. I was not, and I was wrong.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 08-27-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 531844)
I thought and think that we needed to go in to get Al Qaeda. We should have limited ourselves to that.

That's like eating just one potato chip. It's theoretically possible, but have you ever done it?

Hank Chinaski 08-27-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 531846)
That's like eating just one potato chip. It's theoretically possible, but have you ever done it?

So just let the women be fucked? We can’t try to improve anything anywhere?

Tyrone Slothrop 08-28-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Can't find it now, but I read an article yesterday saying that the big mistake was the Taliban wanted to surrender early on, and we wouldn't negotiate with them. Unclear that anyone in the government in the last twenty years has had a realistic idea of how to get out.