LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Personal Injury (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Personal Injury catchall thread (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828)

davidbob 01-27-2009 12:06 AM

California Labor Law

California Labor Law is comprised of a set of statutes and regulations that govern employers and industries with respect to the labor and working conditions of their employees.

bold_n_brazen 01-27-2009 08:54 AM

Re: California Labor Law

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidbob (Post 379083)
California Labor Law is comprised of a set of statutes and regulations that govern employers and industries with respect to the labor and working conditions of their employees.

I'm an excellent driver.

And Kmart sucks.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 01-27-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

I would add that these statutes and regulations relate to the U.S. state of California, and not to any of the cities by that name or to Baja California or Baja California Sur, which are states in Mexico.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 01-27-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

I would add that you used "comprised" incorrectly here, as it is transitive only.

Hank Chinaski 01-27-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 379087)
I would add that you used "comprised" incorrectly here, as it is transitive only.

Slow down there Burger. I disagree with your corrigenda. "Comprised", at least as used in the patent laws, is not exclusive, and does alot for other items to be included. c.f. "essentially consists of" would imply those listed items are an all inclusive listing.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 01-27-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 379088)
Slow down there Burger. I disagree with your corrigenda. "Comprised", at least as used in the patent laws, is not exclusive, and does alot for other items to be included. c.f. "essentially consists of" would imply those listed items are an all inclusive listing.

Interesting. I know that Burger would be correct for use in any newspaper (AP stylebook says Xs comprise Y but Y is composed of Xs) but is there a term of art that allows the usage for law? Is that limited to patent law? I'm not sure I'd recognize the exception. I think we need a dtb ruling.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 01-27-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 379089)
Interesting. I know that Burger would be correct for use in any newspaper (AP stylebook says Xs comprise Y but Y is composed of Xs) but is there a term of art that allows the usage for law? Is that limited to patent law? I'm not sure I'd recognize the exception. I think we need a dtb ruling.

If there's an exception, then it's an exception for lawyers who are sloppy grammarians. It wouldn't be hard to fix the sentence above . . . "comprises a set of statutes and regulations"

ETA: Not sure what the AP stylebook is saying according to you, but the whole comprises the parts.

Penske_Account 01-27-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Cite please?

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 01-27-2009 10:45 AM

Flip it and reverse it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 379091)
If there's an exception, then it's an exception for lawyers who are sloppy grammarians. It wouldn't be hard to fix the sentence above . . . "comprises a set of statutes and regulations"

ETA: Not sure what the AP stylebook is saying according to you, but the whole comprises the parts.

You've never read the work of a dyslexic?

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 01-27-2009 10:50 AM

Re: Flip it and reverse it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 379095)
You've never read the work of a dyslexic?

on.

bold_n_brazen 01-27-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 379097)
on.

This comprises the dumbest conversation we've ever had here.

And that's saying something.

Hank Chinaski 01-27-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

perhaps the web crawler that started this was originally a patent law spider that crashed into a labor law spider, repaired itself and is now more powerful and on some misdirected mission. Haven't you seen Star Trek?

1436 01-27-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

If there's an exception, then it's an exception for lawyers who are sloppy grammarians.

Patent lawyers are engineers who could write just well enough to get into law school. If you find the original post sloppy please do not ever read a patent. They can be worse than the poorly translated manuals for your kids toys. There are terms of art that are completely divorced from the words used to express them.

I was never a huge Carly Simon fan, but at least one of her songs was ruined for me by the language of patent law.

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And I tell you how easy it is to be with you
And how right your arms feel around me.
Bit I rehearsed those words just late last night
When I was thinking about how right tonight might be.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet, I don't know natures way
So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days.

sebastian_dangerfield 01-27-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1436 (Post 379104)
I was never a huge Carly Simon fan...

I'd still bang her today.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 01-27-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bold_n_brazen (Post 379099)
This comprises the dumbest conversation we've ever had here.

And that's saying something.

I still hope the Newber who started this will feel welcome to post again.

And, given PLF's absence from this discussion, I think we need to review his role as the Chair of the Newber Committee.