LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying. (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880)

ThurgreedMarshall 03-26-2018 04:15 PM

Re: I'm impressed....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield (Post 513946)
If I know Slave, he sees this as lack of respect. I get all the dicks and he gets sand? You owe him better than that.

But you already have all the dicks.

TM

SlaveNoMore 03-26-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall (Post 513942)
Yeah. So horrible to have to endure children who were literally in the line of fire asking for some common sense laws to protect them.

The kids being promoted by the media were not "literally" in the line of fire. They were far away, in other buildings. And within minutes, on camera spewing nonsense, while their supposed friends were being carted off in ambulances. And the people paid to protect them did nothing.

If you follow Twitter, the actual families of some of the deceased have asked these kids to stop using the names of the dead - and they've been libeled and bullied in the process. Imagine that - a kid defends his killed sister and gets bullied all over Twitter. It's craven and disgusting.

Quote:

And you mention this Constitutional "right" like it's unlimited. You know it's not.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Ahem.

Quote:

And if you think that right extends to an AR-15 or some other high-velocity, high capacity, rapid fire (yes, we all know the difference between auto and semi-auto) weapon, you can pound all the sand.
Dude, we've been friends for nearly 19 years now (good lord). And you are one of the smartest guys I know. But, c'mon...

AR-15s are fun rifles - light-weight, cheap, and no more dangerous, and far less prevalent, than hand guns. There is nothing "High-capacity" or "rapid fire" (if you are trying to actually hit something) about them. Most murders (and suicides) are via a pistol, for a reason. If people were truly earnest about carnage, they'd try to ban shotguns.

Quote:

Tell your fellow Republicans to stop fucking raiding it.
Yep. Both parties suck.

SlaveNo(GimmeMyRedHawk44)More

Tyrone Slothrop 03-26-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaveNoMore (Post 513943)
Ty - I'll grant you this, that's a damn good one. Bravo.

Off my head, we need a "prescribed" war, right?

So no, I would think that Amendment is clear. Are you comfortable with President Gavin commandeering Nanook's and his family's igloo for some Neo-Con fake war?

SlaveNo(As you are a Tech Guy, I'd prefer we talk hypos on the 4th)More

My point is just that constitutional rights are maybe not more important than life and death. I think most people would say to my hypo, if US citizens are going to get killed (by Russians) unless we ignore the Third Amendment, f*ck the Third Amendment. Likewise, many people are saying, since US citizens are getting killed (by other people with too-easy access to guns), let's roll back the Second Amendment. Saying that takes away your constitutional rights is kinda missing the point. As someone else said in a different context, the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

All that coming from someone who likes to shoot, and thinks that guns, like abortion, should be safe, legal and rare.

Tyrone Slothrop 03-26-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaveNoMore (Post 513948)
AR-15s are fun rifles - light-weight, cheap, and no more dangerous, and far less prevalent, than hand guns. There is nothing "High-capacity" or "rapid fire" (if you are trying to actually hit something) about them.

Their rounds do more damage:

Quote:

ALL GUNS CAN kill, but they do not kill equally.

Compare the damage an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun can do to the human body: “One looks like a grenade went off in there,” says Peter Rhee, a trauma surgeon at the University of Arizona. “The other looks like a bad knife cut.”

Also, they have larger magazines than handguns.

SlaveNoMore 03-26-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield (Post 513946)
If I know Slave, he sees this as lack of respect. I get all the dicks and he gets sand? You owe him better than that.

As a "middle-management" guy, I'll take all the dicks and/or sand I can get.

SlaveNo(NoFilterCamels)More

ThurgreedMarshall 03-26-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

The kids being promoted by the media were not "literally" in the line of fire. They were far away, in other buildings. And within minutes, on camera spewing nonsense, while their supposed friends were being carted off in ambulances. And the people paid to protect them did nothing.

If you follow Twitter, the actual families of some of the deceased have asked these kids to stop using the names of the dead - and they've been libeled and bullied in the process. Imagine that - a kid defends his killed sister and gets bullied all over Twitter. It's craven and disgusting.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Ahem.

Dude, we've been friends for nearly 19 years now (good lord). And you are one of the smartest guys I know. But, c'mon...

AR-15s are fun rifles - light-weight, cheap, and no more dangerous, and far less prevalent, than hand guns. There is nothing "High-capacity" or "rapid fire" (if you are trying to actually hit something) about them. Most murders (and suicides) are via a pistol, for a reason. If people were truly earnest about carnage, they'd try to ban shotguns.

Yep. Both parties suck.

Jesus. You're actually nuts. And if you're going to quote the Constitution, don't make it look like you're not cutting out the part of the sentence you'd like to pretend doesn't exist.

TM

Tyrone Slothrop 03-26-2018 04:47 PM

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Slave comes out of retirement for the K. What's the new thread going to be called?

Did you just call me Coltrane? 03-26-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

"Routine handgun injuries leave entry and exit wounds and linear tracks through the victim’s body that are roughly the size of the bullet. If the bullet does not directly hit something crucial like the heart or the aorta, and the victim does not bleed to death before being transported to our care at the trauma center, chances are that we can save him. The bullets fired by an AR-15 are different: They travel at a higher velocity and are far more lethal than routine bullets fired from a handgun. The damage they cause is a function of the energy they impart as they pass through the body. A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than—and imparting more than three times the energy of—a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun. An AR-15 rifle outfitted with a magazine with 50 rounds allows many more lethal bullets to be delivered quickly without reloading."

With an AR-15, the shooter does not have to be particularly accurate. The victim does not have to be unlucky. If a victim takes a direct hit to the liver from an AR-15, the damage is far graver than that of a simple handgun-shot injury. Handgun injuries to the liver are generally survivable unless the bullet hits the main blood supply to the liver. An AR-15 bullet wound to the middle of the liver would cause so much bleeding that the patient would likely never make it to the trauma center to receive our care."

Replaced_Texan 03-27-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? (Post 513954)
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

"Routine handgun injuries leave entry and exit wounds and linear tracks through the victim’s body that are roughly the size of the bullet. If the bullet does not directly hit something crucial like the heart or the aorta, and the victim does not bleed to death before being transported to our care at the trauma center, chances are that we can save him. The bullets fired by an AR-15 are different: They travel at a higher velocity and are far more lethal than routine bullets fired from a handgun. The damage they cause is a function of the energy they impart as they pass through the body. A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than—and imparting more than three times the energy of—a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun. An AR-15 rifle outfitted with a magazine with 50 rounds allows many more lethal bullets to be delivered quickly without reloading."

With an AR-15, the shooter does not have to be particularly accurate. The victim does not have to be unlucky. If a victim takes a direct hit to the liver from an AR-15, the damage is far graver than that of a simple handgun-shot injury. Handgun injuries to the liver are generally survivable unless the bullet hits the main blood supply to the liver. An AR-15 bullet wound to the middle of the liver would cause so much bleeding that the patient would likely never make it to the trauma center to receive our care."

My understanding is that if the crime scene photos from Sandy Hook ever came out in public, the entire debate would be over pretty quickly. The carnage caused by these weapons is pretty horrific.