LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clerks (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Law Clerks (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57)

Beef Clerky 03-28-2003 09:30 AM

Discussions About Clerking

I'm first!

credit this 03-28-2003 10:03 AM

Test post

OK, seems to work

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-23-2003 10:37 AM

The continuing death of unpublished opinions?

Yahoo article

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 08-07-2003 10:41 AM

More Outrageousness from Ashcroft

Ashcroft now requires all US Attorneys to report any sentence that is a downward departure. Article. All the better the attack judicial independence selectively.

Someone Else's Evil Twin 10-13-2003 05:03 PM

Why yes, it's an actual question about clerking!

I'll be clerking at a CTA next year and would like to know if there are any books or training materials on opinion writing. Also, do the federal courts use a document management application like iManage with which one can easily locate precedents and models? Are federal clerks given any guidelines for writing opinions beyond that of their judges' personal preferences and idiosyncrasies?

Admins: IMHO, the title of this thread should be changed to something other than "First."

Missing the bar 10-14-2003 05:01 PM

I clerked at at district court, we had an informal meeting, they gave us some handouts, and we were on our own. Well, not really, chances are you will have an experienced clerk somewhere to help you out.

The Federal Judicial Center has some resources on opinion writing--it is on-line and accessible to the public, and there is a video along with written materials on opinion writing that should be available to you when you start. Some material can be ordered at www.fjc.gov. (I believe they are free, I know they are to law clerks) I would imagine at the CT level, you'd have more guidance. My co-clerk and Judge sat by designation at the CT. I remember the decisions went through a ton of drafts because every chambers wanted to see them.

Not sure what you mean about the search system. We had Chaser, internal and external which allowed us to search other decisions written by clerks/judges in our district.

The best resource is to read lots and lots of opinions by the judge you are going to clerk for. Most judges have a standard way of writing that is pretty easy to pick up.

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 10-14-2003 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Missing the bar

The best resource is to read lots and lots of opinions by the judge you are going to clerk for. Most judges have a standard way of writing that is pretty easy to pick up.
Agreed. Start with your judge's opinions. Then look for an office style sheet, which most chambers that have been around will have (judge's preferences on citations, etc.). Then ask the judge. Most will tell you if you did it right.

sebastian_dangerfield 11-28-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Agreed. Start with your judge's opinions. Then look for an office style sheet, which most chambers that have been around will have (judge's preferences on citations, etc.). Then ask the judge. Most will tell you if you did it right.
But be careful not to show up the judge. They don't like that. If I had clerked for a judge that's how I would have approached it.

Hank Chinaski 01-12-2020 08:09 PM

Re: Law Clerks

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield (Post 337838)
but be careful not to show up the judge. They don't like that. If i had clerked for a judge that's how i would have approached it.