LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   We are all Slave now. (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882)

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 04-05-2018 09:17 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 514105)
I SAID "MAYBE IT'S A CHICKEN/EGG THING" IN MY O.P. you think you invented the thought? We already have a Paigow.

Thou art an egg.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 04-05-2018 09:18 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 514104)
Sorry, my ESP must have been on the fritz.

You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.

Hank Chinaski 04-05-2018 09:28 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy (Post 514107)
You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.

He has me on ignore, but read my post? Whoa?

Tyrone Slothrop 04-06-2018 10:30 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 514105)
I SAID "MAYBE IT'S A CHICKEN/EGG THING" IN MY O.P. you think you invented the thought? We already have a Paigow.

I thought you were suggesting and I was agreeing. Geesh.

Adder 04-06-2018 10:31 AM

Re: Quadfecta!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 514095)
I think this, too, is bullshit. Teachers get paid very little because the entry barriers are low and because the benefits of good teaching are hard to measure, diffuse, and a common good.

And because the people who want to teach see non-financial remuneration in it too.

Tyrone Slothrop 04-06-2018 11:35 AM

Re: Quadfecta!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 514110)
And because the people who want to teach see non-financial remuneration in it too.

And because it was a socially acceptable way, for years, for women to work outside the house and was essentially subsidized by the other limitations on women's work.

Icky Thump 04-06-2018 05:35 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 514098)
http://www.thepovertyline.net/united-states-of-america

http://www.thepovertyline.net/norway

Maybe it's Chicken/egg, but comparing us to Nordic countries is either stupid or contrived. Our poverty level is twice theirs, and we are way more spread out.

Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.

Hank Chinaski 04-07-2018 07:59 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icky Thump (Post 514112)
Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.

Exactly, adults like us get that, but not people like Ty or Adder. It's like comparing my daughter's spending when I'm paying her rent to my spending. The worst implication to America from this thread is that a "well-educated" person, like Ty, could post it. Sad.

sebastian_dangerfield 04-09-2018 10:44 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 514113)
Exactly, adults like us get that, but not people like Ty or Adder. It's like comparing my daughter's spending when I'm paying her rent to my spending. The worst implication to America from this thread is that a "well-educated" person, like Ty, could post it. Sad.

Well educated today is increasingly similar to well ridden.

Adder 04-09-2018 10:46 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icky Thump (Post 514112)
Neither one has an uber military that protects the world much less 300 million people.

"Protects."

Our post-Cold War redistribution of wealth toward shareholders of defense contractors is arguably our biggest policy mistake, playing a large role in facilitating the comparably smaller blunder of endless war.

sebastian_dangerfield 04-09-2018 10:56 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 514099)
(1) Sebby says democracies collapse. The Nordics haven't. So either he is just plain wrong, or a Nordic-style democracy is not sufficiently democratic to induce collapse, in which case it's an academic point not worth discussing.

(2) Maybe our poverty level is higher because our system of government doesn't sufficiently represent the needs of the poorer and do more to elevate their condition.

1. The Nordics are the Saudis of the North. Petro-states with small populations can run a long time before the resources are exhausted.

But to your point, all pure democracies will eventually collapse. People see someone with more of something and seek parity by whatever means they can. If this is a the ballot box, they'll attempt to vote themselves even with the closest Joneses. The Joneses will then pull away a bit, desiring to enhance their relative status, and the cycle will ratchet up in terms of cost. Eventually, it breaks the bank.

In the US, in a culture as crass and class ambitious as ours, the process is very much accelerated in comparison to the more mature Nordic societies.

2. That's part of it. No doubt. But nowhere near all of it.

Greedy,Greedy,Greedy 04-09-2018 10:57 AM

Re: Religion on the P-Board
 
Have I mentioned lately how much I love the Pope?

Nothing like a throw-down against Pelagianism to start the week.

sebastian_dangerfield 04-09-2018 11:00 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adder (Post 514115)
"Protects."

Our post-Cold War redistribution of wealth toward shareholders of defense contractors is arguably our biggest policy mistake, playing a large role in facilitating the comparably smaller blunder of endless war.

Yup. This is where we cue Eisenhower's farewell "Military/Industrial Complex" address.

It's worth watching every two or three years, just to recall, "Oh yeah... shit never really changes."

Tyrone Slothrop 04-10-2018 11:52 AM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield (Post 514116)
1. The Nordics are the Saudis of the North. Petro-states with small populations can run a long time before the resources are exhausted.

But to your point, all pure democracies will eventually collapse. People see someone with more of something and seek parity by whatever means they can. If this is a the ballot box, they'll attempt to vote themselves even with the closest Joneses. The Joneses will then pull away a bit, desiring to enhance their relative status, and the cycle will ratchet up in terms of cost. Eventually, it breaks the bank.

In the US, in a culture as crass and class ambitious as ours, the process is very much accelerated in comparison to the more mature Nordic societies.

2. That's part of it. No doubt. But nowhere near all of it.

Name a "pure democracy" that has ever "collapsed." I pointed to the Nordics because they should be closer to "collapse" than us, having voted themselves more benefits. To your way of thinking, they are "mature" and we are "crass and class ambitious" (? to all of the above) so somehow your theory is that mature pure democracies are slower to collapse than crass ones except that still if they are pure then the collapse is coming inevitably just like the Incas and the Hapsburgs, except those weren't pure democracies so uh, hey, look over there!

Did you just call me Coltrane? 04-10-2018 03:08 PM

Re: We are all Slave now.
 
Does the GOP want Trump to fire Mueller?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Hosted By: URLJet.com