LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ohio (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Firms and Salary Information - Ohio (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42)

andViolins 03-28-2003 08:30 AM

NEW POST/NEW BOARD

I think I am first with a new post on the new board! Woo Hooo!

Hello? ANyone? Echo. . . .

aV

spookyfish 03-28-2003 09:36 AM

Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Originally posted by andViolins

aV

Damn you, andViolins. Damn you to hell!

:mad:

spookyfish

andViolins 03-28-2003 09:39 AM

Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Originally posted by spookyfish
Damn you, andViolins. Damn you to hell!

:mad:

spookyfish

Sorry spooky! But, you were first on the last Board.

aV :cool:

spookyfish 03-28-2003 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Sorry spooky! But, you were first on the last Board.

aV :cool:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm not a Type A and want to be first (or best) at everything. :D In addition, I can be petty and spiteful to boot!

Maybe I can be first at THIS, andViolins

:violin:

spooky(ha, ha take that!)fish:p

andViolins 03-28-2003 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm not a Type A and want to be first (or best) at everything. :D In addition, I can be petty and spiteful to boot!

Maybe I can be first at THIS, andViolins

:violin:

spooky(ha, ha take that!)fish:p

Wow! I like that guy! I'm not sure why though. . .

hmmmmmmmmm.

a( :violin: ) V

spookyfish 03-28-2003 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Wow! I like that guy! I'm not sure why though. . .

hmmmmmmmmm.

a( :violin: ) V

Thought you might. Any sign of Ms. Naughty New York Diplomat Doll yet?

spooky(:guitar: i like this one too)fish

andViolins 03-28-2003 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Thought you might. Any sign of Ms. Naughty New York Diplomat Doll yet?

spooky(:guitar: i like this one too)fish

Nope. But she may be hiding out over at findlaw. Or maybe even billing some hours.

aV

spookyfish 03-28-2003 02:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Nope. But she may be hiding out over at findlaw. Or maybe even billing some hours.

aV

:rofl:

I'm thinking more likely this.

:chatter:

spookyfish

andViolins 03-28-2003 02:37 PM

board motto

Did you change it? That's cool. You have the power!

a[what's a motto? nuthin, what's a motto with you!:laugh: ]V

spookyfish 03-28-2003 02:42 PM

Re: board motto

Quote:

Did you change it? That's cool. You have the power!

a[what's a motto? nuthin, what's a motto with you!:laugh: ]V

Actually, no, but I'm enough of a narcissist that I suggested it to Leagl and BAM!

I thought it was kind of clever. Too much? :mixed:

spookyfish

ms. naughty diplomat 03-29-2003 11:11 AM

Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

aV

me: is this thing on???

but its kind of easy for you to get the first post on the new board when you are posting at 8:30 a.m. :p

i notice that all of the sexually explicit emoticons are gone. that is probably for the best.

ms. naughty diplomat

andViolins 03-31-2003 11:03 AM

Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Originally posted by ms. naughty diplomat
me: is this thing on???

but its kind of easy for you to get the first post on the new board when you are posting at 8:30 a.m. :p

i notice that all of the sexually explicit emoticons are gone. that is probably for the best.

ms. naughty diplomat

Oh, now I'm getting grief because THE MAN makes me come in and bill hours???? :eek:

aV

ms. naughty diplomat 03-31-2003 01:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

Oh, now I'm getting grief because THE MAN makes me come in and bill hours???? :eek:

aV

me: i'm just upset because the man made me travel out of town on thursday and friday so that you could get the first post. :rolleyes:

has there been any sign of any other ohio posters around these parts or are they still all over at the old boards?

ms. naughty diplomat :cool:

ms. naughty diplomat 03-31-2003 01:20 PM

real bragging rights

oh, and violins, i no longer feel upset with you, because i just started a thread on the detroit board and not only have the first post, but i started the thread as well.

which is way cooler than what you did :p

andViolins 03-31-2003 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: NEW POST/NEW BOARD

Quote:

me: i'm just upset because the man made me travel out of town on thursday and friday so that you could get the first post. :rolleyes:

has there been any sign of any other ohio posters around these parts or are they still all over at the old boards?

Well, hopefully you got some good hours out of it.

aV

andViolins 03-31-2003 01:40 PM

Re: real bragging rights

Quote:

oh, and violins, i no longer feel upset with you, because i just started a thread on the detroit board and not only have the first post, but i started the thread as well.

which is way cooler than what you did :p

C'mon, how could you sta mad at me anyway? I soothe the savage beast with my sweet lilting sounds.

aV

p.s. still just me you and spooky. If this keeps up, we should just meet for coffee or drinks IRL.

andViolins 04-01-2003 11:04 AM

Ohio Law Schools

An article in the Plain Dealer today about the massive Ohio budget deficit and ways that the legislature can close the $3 billion dollar gap.

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/in...0272118710.xml

One possible item is closing one of Ohio's public law schools. Thoughts? Suggestions on which one?

aV

spookyfish 04-01-2003 11:54 AM

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Quote:

An article in the Plain Dealer today about the massive Ohio budget deficit and ways that the legislature can close the $3 billion dollar gap.

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/in...0272118710.xml

One possible item is closing one of Ohio's public law schools. Thoughts? Suggestions on which one?

aV

Wow -- That's scary. I guess the first question is, are there too many lawyers being turned out every year in the state? I don't know the answer to this one. To tell the truth, I wasn't sure which of the law schools were public and which were private. So, I looked up the list. They are:

Akron
Cincinnati (I don't know why I had it in my head they were private)
Cleveland State
Ohio State
Toledo

Let's take two right off the top.

Ohio State (Come on, it's OHIO State, for god's sake). Located in the capital, and furthermore, as everyone knows, they are the be all and end all to all outside the state, and many within. Lower Tier I school -- I don't think so. Though I cannot confirm this, I'm pretty sure they would send the highest number of grads out of state compared to the other schools.

Cincinnati - Taft's alma mater? Tier 2 School. One of the larger markets. Don't think so.

That leaves on the short list:

Akron
Cleveland State
Toledo

What are the objective criteria they will use to determine which, if any close?

Population?
Size of Market served?
Bar Pass Rates?
Alternatives
Recent Investment in Physical Structures
Alumni involved in politics, particularly the General Assembly.
U.S. News rankings -- can these really be construed as objective? :rolleyes:

If you look at physical distribution throughout the state, the amount of public law schools does not seem excessive. Most of the major population centers in the state are served by one public law school.

With respect to Cleveland State, they recently built a law library, I believe they may graduate the largest number of students every year (though Ohio State may graduate more, I'm not sure). Tier 3 school. It's also serving the major legal market in the state. They have a ton of graduates in the local judiciary and local politics. Bar pass rates are a bit lower than some schools, (but higher than others) plus the area is served by Case, so, I don't know. Although for my money, I'd rather avoid paying $20 K a year for an education if possible. Plus, I'm sure most of their grads stay local.

Akron - Interestingly enough, I see they quoted Dean Aynes in the article. My guess is they may be sweating it more than most. The facilities are decent, though the library sucks. Smaller market, though larger than Toledo. A fair amount of politicos that are alums. Has the reputation of a good bar passage rate, at least that's the hype. Pretty sure most of their grads stay local.

Loss of the school would be a blow to the University and a town that has taken a lot of hits over the past 25 years. No real competition locally, unless you count the Cleveland area. My guess is that that could enter into the calculus. By the way, I looked at the U.S. News rankings. When did Akron slip to a Tier 4? I thought they were Tier 3 until relatively recently. Maybe it's their shitty high-school like library facilities.

Toledo - Tier 3 school. I really don't know enough about them. Are there any other schools close to them? I hate to say it, but UT always seems like an afterthought with regard to the attention it receives. Does this make them a candidate? I'm not sure. I think the fact that they serve a more "remote" part of the state could favor keeping them open.

spooky(just my thoughts but then again, what do I know?)fish

ms. naughty diplomat 04-02-2003 01:34 PM

Ohio Law Schools

Quote:

aV

how much money would closing a law school actually save? couldn't the law schools raise tuition money???

i'd suspect that akron would be the most likely law school to get closed - out of the public schools, cleveland marshall and akron are the only two that are close together and cleveland marshall is much larger so should have more alumni support.

andViolins 04-02-2003 01:59 PM

bfca

Judge orders independent probe of the bankruptcy case:

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...9429247770.xml

aV

andViolins 04-02-2003 02:01 PM

Ohio Law Schools

Quote:

how much money would closing a law school actually save? couldn't the law schools raise tuition money???

i'd suspect that akron would be the most likely law school to get closed - out of the public schools, cleveland marshall and akron are the only two that are close together and cleveland marshall is much larger so should have more alumni support.

That's a good question NYD. I always thought it was rather cheap to run a law school (as opposed to medical or dental - labs and stuff has to cost a lot) which was why Ohio ended up with more law schools than Canada. I imagine whichever school goes up on the block the alumni and local leaders will raise a big stink.

aV

spookyfish 04-02-2003 02:35 PM

Ohio Law Schools

Quote:

That's a good question NYD. I always thought it was rather cheap to run a law school (as opposed to medical or dental - labs and stuff has to cost a lot) which was why Ohio ended up with more law schools than Canada. I imagine whichever school goes up on the block the alumni and local leaders will raise a big stink.

aV

I would agree. Not only are law schools cheaper to run than other professional schools, but the per student revenue they produce far exceeds all other colleges in the university. I watched my own school jack up tuition by about 8-11 percent per annum in my years there.

spookyfish

ms. naughty diplomat 04-03-2003 05:53 PM

interestng

if either of you guys care, the new usnews rankings are now out and posted on the usnews website. as far as i can tell the main difference in this year's rankings is that they now give numerical ranks to the top 100 and have "top 100," "third tier," and "fourth tier." which kind of makes the us news rankings even more absurd - but i guess that cincinatti (ranked 51st) and case western (ranked 57th) are probably happy to have numerical ranks rather than being just "2nd tier."

oh and apparently akron moved back into the third tier and cleveland marshall dropped down to the 4th tier. i didn't notice any other changes in ranks of ohio law schools. i guess ohio state changed, they are now at 38th.

ms. naughty diplomat
:cool:

ms. naughty diplomat 04-03-2003 05:57 PM

Ohio Law Schools

Quote:

aV
my understanding is that colleges and universities love having law schools because they collect more in tuition than the costs they spend for hte law school.

how much state support does the state of ohio give the law schools? i'd assume that most of the state money could probably be replaced with increases in fees and tuition - and given how many people want to become lawyers they would probably still attract students.

andViolins 04-03-2003 06:21 PM

interestng

Quote:

oh and apparently akron moved back into the third tier and cleveland marshall dropped down to the 4th tier. i didn't notice any other changes in ranks of ohio law schools. i guess ohio state changed, they are now at 38th.

ms. naughty diplomat
:cool:
Any idea if that is higher or lower than last year for Ohio State?

aV

ms. naughty diplomat 04-04-2003 10:01 AM

interesting (thank you for not pointing out my speling eror)

Quote:

Any idea if that is higher or lower than last year for Ohio State?

aV
me: i think that they were 40th last year so i think its higher. but its really about the same. its not like two spots really makes much difference. although if you've seen the nyu vrs. columbia debates on the old new york bored you'd never realize it.

i'm surprised that cincinatti ranks so high - they are at the very top of the 2nd tier.

andViolins 04-04-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

me: i think that they were 40th last year so i think its higher. but its really about the same. its not like two spots really makes much difference. although if you've seen the nyu vrs. columbia debates on the old new york bored you'd never realize it.

i'm surprised that cincinatti ranks so high - they are at the very top of the 2nd tier.

I see that Capital and UD are ranked at the bottom again. I wonder what one yr at either school costs now? $25,000? $30,000? I just can't see spending that much to go to a school ranked that low. I will give credit to UD though, they are trying to develop a niche with intellectual property.

aV

ms. naughty diplomat 04-07-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

I see that Capital and UD are ranked at the bottom again. I wonder what one yr at either school costs now? $25,000? $30,000? I just can't see spending that much to go to a school ranked that low. I will give credit to UD though, they are trying to develop a niche with intellectual property.

aV
me: personally i think that the primary purpose of lower tier private law schools is to separate gullible lawyer wannabes from their money. if all their students had trustfunds and were rich it wouldn't be so outrageous, but borrowing 100k in debt to go to a4th tier law school is absolutely idiotic. and i really can't see paying private school prices for a non-top 10 or so law school.

ms. naughty diplomat

ms. naughty diplomat 04-07-2003 01:36 PM

hi andviolins

i see that aV is now the moderator of this board and is thus in charge of administering discipline around here. so aV, when are you going to start your disciplinary duty by spanking the bare bottom of a naughty diplomat?
;)

(i'll keep my thong on if you prefer)

ms. naughty diplomat

spookyfish 04-07-2003 01:51 PM

hi andviolins

Quote:

i see that aV is now the moderator of this board. so aV, when are you going to start administering discipline to naughty diplomats by spanking their bare bottoms?
;)

ms. naughty diplomat
He's the man now, dog. I already asked him about moderating. He can edit posts and there's a special moderator's board, but at least I won't be forced to clean up my language. ;) Re: the spanking of bare bottoms of naughty diplomats, well, to the victor go the spoils :D)

spooky(see what happens when I leave for a few days?:mad:fish)

andViolins 04-07-2003 01:59 PM

hi andviolins

Quote:

i see that aV is now the moderator of this board and is thus in charge of administering discipline around here. so aV, when are you going to start your disciplinary duty by spanking the bare bottom of a naughty diplomat?
;)

(i'll keep my thong on if you prefer)

ms. naughty diplomat
I've been advised to run this board with a very light hand.

But I don't think that's what you're thinking of. . .

you are soooooo naughty. :D

aV

ms. naughty diplomat 04-08-2003 04:32 PM

Quote:

aV
for your entertainment pleasure, 2001-02 tuition (i'm not sure if this includes fees or not, but it doesn't include living expenses) at ohio law schools:

public division:

osu - $10,826
cincinatti - $9,622
akron - $9,386
toledo - $9,054
cleveland-marshall - $9,048

private division:

case western - $25,300* [!]
dayton - $21,896
ohio northern - $19,800
capital - $18,009

*2003-04 figures so its not a true comparitive list, but i found the other figures compiled together and i don't want to take the time to look at the other law school's websites to get current figures for them.

lets see, when you add in living expenses, books, etc., even the public law schools in ohio are over $20K. and case western predictably wins the prize for highest tuition.

ms. naughty diplomat

ms. naughty diplomat 04-08-2003 04:55 PM

hi andviolins

Quote:

I've been advised to run this board with a very light hand.

me: i would much prefer that you use a firm hand (or a ruler, a hairbrush, or a paddle) when dealling with me. ;)

Quote:

But I don't think that's what you're thinking of. . .
me: although i may have been thinking about boards, they were not of the message variety.

Quote:

you are soooooo naughty.
me: you wouldn't spank a good girl, now, would you???

but i had better stop being so naughty now before i get us all in trouble.

ms. naughty diplomat

andViolins 04-08-2003 05:14 PM

hi andviolins

Quote:

me: i would much prefer that you use a firm hand (or a ruler, a hairbrush, or a paddle) when dealling with me. ;)

me: although i may have been thinking about boards, they were not of the message variety.

me: you wouldn't spank a good girl, now, would you???

but i had better stop being so naughty now before i get us all in trouble.

ms. naughty diplomat
Well, you can stop being naughty, but to try and get you back in the mood, I guess I can just post a pic of your favorite type of lingerie:

http://www.bagshop.com/store/product..._wacoal_03.jpg

a(:yum: )V

I really should just go home. And stay out of trouble. Really.

spookyfish 04-09-2003 08:53 AM

Ohio Public Law Schools Dodge Budget Bullet

Today's PD has an article on the budget wranglings in Columbus. The legislative proposal to drop one of the Public Law Schools has been dropped.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...0993281580.xml

I get the feeling from the tenor of the article that it wasn't as big a concern to the non-attorney types wandering around out there.

spookyfish

andViolins 04-09-2003 09:10 AM

Quote:

Today's PD has an article on the budget wranglings in Columbus. The legislative proposal to drop one of the Public Law Schools has been dropped.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...0993281580.xml

I get the feeling from the tenor of the article that it wasn't as big a concern to the non-attorney types wandering around out there.

spookyfish
From the article:

"Other late additions to the plan included several nods to social conservatives that could be helpful to gain votes, including declassification of some unionized state employees, creation of a governor's office dedicated to faith-based nonprofits, and elimination of a voter registration program that targets the poor."

Social conservatives who want stuff like this really REALLY bug the crap outta me. Of course, these are the same whackadoos who want intelligent design taught in public schools.

aV

spookyfish 04-09-2003 09:37 AM

Quote:

From the article:

"Other late additions to the plan included several nods to social conservatives that could be helpful to gain votes, including declassification of some unionized state employees, creation of a governor's office dedicated to faith-based nonprofits, and elimination of a voter registration program that targets the poor."

Social conservatives who want stuff like this really REALLY bug the crap outta me. Of course, these are the same whackadoos who want intelligent design taught in public schools.

aV
I thought the same thing, but I thought it might be too Politics Board to say so. With this kind of leadership, I can see why we are well on our way to becoming the Mississippi of the north. We are doomed. Completely doomed.

spookyfish

ms. naughty diplomat 04-09-2003 01:13 PM

hi andviolins

Quote:

Well, you can stop being naughty, but to try and get you back in the mood, I guess I can just post a pic of your favorite type of lingerie:

I really should just go home. And stay out of trouble. Really.
you are quite naughty as well mr. violins. i am starting to think that maybe i need to give you a spanking. ;)

however, mr. violins, my efforts to not be naughty are not for my benefit, because i enjoy being punished as much as i enjoy being naughty - in fact if anything i enjoy the punishment more than i enjoy the misbehaviour (as long as the punishment includes a spanking, of course). however, mr. violins, i suspect that you may not enjoy the punishment that mrs. violins would give you nearly as much as you enjoy being naughty - for one thing mrs. violins may choose to use a less pleasurable form of punishment than the type of punishment that i face when i am naughty.

so, mr. violins, given what a bad girl i am, and how the consequences of me being a bad girl are much likely to be worse for you than they are for me, you probably don't want to encourage naughtiness from me.

:kisscheek

ms. naughty diplomat

ms. naughty diplomat 04-09-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

I thought the same thing, but I thought it might be too Politics Board to say so. With this kind of leadership, I can see why we are well on our way to becoming the Mississippi of the north. We are doomed. Completely doomed.

spookyfish
:eek: it must be those law makers from cincinatti that are behind these dubious programs. is there a way we can cause southern ohio to join kentucky or west virginia or perhaps become a separate state.

but in any case, i thought that indiana was the mississippi of the north. so that would make ohio, the alabama of the north

:eek2:

ms. naughty diplomat

spookyfish 04-09-2003 01:27 PM

spanks andviolins

Quote:

you are quite naughty as well mr. violins. i am starting to think that maybe i need to give you a spanking. ;)
ms. naughty diplomat
Oh for crying out loud, would you two get a room, or a chamber or something already? :D

spookyfish