LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fashionable (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877)

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-13-2015 03:39 PM

No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch (Post 496110)
I would prefer to honor Wonk with “No faith in the moral standards of the players as a group”.

Here you go.

Atticus Grinch 05-13-2015 03:45 PM

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall (Post 496109)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcvAEbMwW2Q

I assume the answer to your question is: Because the NFL specifically gave teams leeway to manipulate the balls quarterbacks use within set guidelines so that quarterbacks could use balls that were a little worn or, less or more inflated, depending on their individual tastes*, as long as they remained within a standard range set by the league. They set up a procedure where the balls would be tested 2 hours before the game to make sure teams complied with that rule.

The balls that are used for the kicking game are not to be manipulated at all, but they are still taken out of their packaging the same 2 hours before the game and, I assume, taken out to the field with the other balls. Seems pretty consistent.

The reason for the two different standards is beyond me. Maybe quarterbacks have more say with the League than kickers. Maybe there's a tremendous difference in how the football flies when it is kicked based on changes to pressure or how worn it is. Maybe the NFL wants kicking to be more consistent than passing.

In any case, your argument is still completely fucking ridiculous. Stick with everyone else and say that Goodell is punishing you guys inordinately to try to show everyone he's going to enforce league rules after the awful year he's had.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/ball

TM

*Something Brady (among others) specifically lobbied for.

Perhaps Burger will next make a case that, if the MLB really cared about corked bats, they’d make the batter hand the bat to the umpire before he was allowed to step into the batter’s box.

Pretty Little Flower 05-13-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) (Post 496111)
Here you go.

I would have gone with, "I expect more flirting. Or nudity. Or both."

ThurgreedMarshall 05-13-2015 04:06 PM

Top 20

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...postcount=3322

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...postcount=3323

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...postcount=3324

http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/sho...postcount=3325

TM

greatwhitenorthchick 05-13-2015 04:52 PM

Here is my missed connection again, this time with more flirting for ncs (I think the nudity in the avatar is sufficent):

NotBob, I saw you on 44th Street (wink). You were on the phone talking about sports, perhaps (hair flip), and I was with a colleague walking to a meeting (wink wink). I did not say hi -- I apologize profusely (hair flip), I forgot your real name (wink wink) and I didn't want to interrupt your call (which may not have been about sports) (wink wink) and say Hi NotBob (hair flip), which would have confused my colleague (butt wiggle) and also perhaps you (wink wink).

Now I remember your real name (butt wiggle, hair flip wink wink). It came to me about 5 min after we passed you (wink wink).

I hope all is well with you. Lookin' good! (sexy smile, hair flip, butt wiggle, wink wink)

Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) 05-13-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch (Post 496114)
Perhaps Burger will next make a case that, if the MLB really cared about corked bats, they’d make the batter hand the bat to the umpire before he was allowed to step into the batter’s box.

Or after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXVdwIGfuI

Not Bob's Id 05-13-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower (Post 496115)
I would have gone with, "I expect more flirting. Or nudity. Or both."

Indeed - as a thread title *and* a mantra.

I cannot believe that Not Bob was talking playoff hockey or something on his phone when he could have been complimenting GWNC's (truly delightful, IIRC) hair. I really wonder about that boy sometimes.

Sidd Finch 05-13-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick (Post 496122)
Here is my missed connection again, this time with more flirting for ncs (I think the nudity in the avatar is sufficent):

NotBob, I saw you on 44th Street (wink). You were on the phone talking about sports, perhaps (hair flip), and I was with a colleague walking to a meeting (wink wink). I did not say hi -- I apologize profusely (hair flip), I forgot your real name (wink wink) and I didn't want to interrupt your call (which may not have been about sports) (wink wink) and say Hi NotBob (hair flip), which would have confused my colleague (butt wiggle) and also perhaps you (wink wink).

Now I remember your real name (butt wiggle, hair flip wink wink). It came to me about 5 min after we passed you (wink wink).

I hope all is well with you. Lookin' good! (sexy smile, hair flip, butt wiggle, wink wink)

If I were NotBob, I would have read it this way in the first place.

taxwonk 05-13-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick (Post 496122)

But was there any deposition involved?

(Yeah, and the rest of you stop pretending you aren't dying to know, too)

taxwonk 05-13-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidd Finch (Post 496126)

You aren't NotBob and you still read it that way in the first place.

Tyrone Slothrop 05-13-2015 07:55 PM

Sorry, can't quote because the other thread is closed.

I think the idea that the NFL lets each team doctor its own footballs (within limits) is silly. Teams haven't been playing with the same balls for years. In particular, the idea that the Colts complained about the Patriots *before* this game and the NFL let things proceed as they did makes a mockery of the idea that they really care about the integrity of play. I think the whole ruckus is highly overblown, for all the reasons expressed by Charlie Pierce, who has my proxy on this. That said, I'm not interested in defending Brady, for the reasons stated by Pierce. I am somewhat more inclined to defend the team, again for the reasons stated by Pierce. The penalties levied by the NFL are highly proportionate to the league's desire to appear to be tough, but not to the gravity of what happened relative to other things the league has ever penalized.

Not Bob's Id 05-13-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidd Finch (Post 496126)

Please. This is the Not Bobster we're talking about. It was all [hair flip] when he read it, and "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan (Canadian, bien sur) was playing on his mental soundtrack.

Hank Chinaski 05-13-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop (Post 496130)
Sorry, can't quote because the other thread is closed.

I think the idea that the NFL lets each team doctor its own footballs (within limits) is silly. Teams haven't been playing with the same balls for years. In particular, the idea that the Colts complained about the Patriots *before* this game and the NFL let things proceed as they did makes a mockery of the idea that they really care about the integrity of play. I think the whole ruckus is highly overblown, for all the reasons expressed by Charlie Pierce, who has my proxy on this. That said, I'm not interested in defending Brady, for the reasons stated by Pierce. I am somewhat more inclined to defend the team, again for the reasons stated by Pierce. The penalties levied by the NFL are highly proportionate to the league's desire to appear to be tough, but not to the gravity of what happened relative to other things the league has ever penalized.

I can't read the thing, it's too long, and it's more like what Hitler's daughter might write about her dad. Would you at least paraphrase and redact down to what you feel?

Or just answer this- do you feel the Pats fumbling less than anyone, and the balls being low on air are unrelated?

Atticus Grinch 05-13-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 496132)
I can't read the thing, it's too long, and it's more like what Hitler's daughter might write about her dad. Would you at least paraphrase and redact down to what you feel?

Hitler had a daughter? I thought he was unmarried? :confused:

Pretty Little Flower 05-13-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch (Post 496133)
Hitler had a daughter? I thought he was unmarried? :confused:

I thought his balls were deflated? :eek: