LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 161
0 members and 161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #1638
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Why was she the "home run"? Faith again? You never responded to my earlier questions? If so, that is the opposite of originalism. It is rank "my indefensible beliefs Trump your rational positions."

As others said earlier, will you accept that "state's rights" mean a State can make a woman abort? Can the Constitution allow states to make them use TRUMP brand fomula instead of breasr mik?

Isn't a part of former "conservatism" a right to self-control and self-determination?

So. If not not for rhe desire to impose religious beliefs on others, why was she the "home run?
I'm not answering for SEC, but I'll try to speak for most people who loved Barrett and claimed to hate Roe because it violated states' rights:
Because they believe there is a greater law than the rational, logic based laws we have on the books.

The ardent pro-lifer can't accept the weighing of interests involved in abortion. There is no abortion law which can satisfy him. But he knows this argument elevates "feelings" over rational thought. He knows he can't argue that the union of an egg and sperm is immediately conscious life. So he takes shelter in states' rights, and the fact that Roe wasn't not the most tightly reasoned of SCOTUS precedents.
It's not "religious" belief in every instance. There are plenty of secular pro-lifers. It's "feelings." In this regard, it's indistinguishable from the "feelings" of college students that they shouldn't be forced to consider things that trigger them, or the "feelings" that lead to concepts like "microaggressions."

I'm with you. "Feelings" are worth considering, and people should be able to raise them by way of grievance, to help foster a more kind and considerate society. But they have no place in law. Particularly when hidden within the pretext of "states' rights."

(And this notion that men should have some say on abortions? That's quite repugnant. "I've impregnated you and therefore I acquire a claim against you which robs you of bodily autonomy." The nerve of that argument is astonishing.)