LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 175
0 members and 175 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #1687
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Music belongs on this board floer you great git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
?

Your determination is based on Bowie being born 10 years earlier?

I'm not sure why this is a competition, but Prince was prodigy musician who could play every single instrument at an expert level. He wrote his own lyrics (and the songs of many others) and his own music. The guy was fucking over-the-top talented.

I like a lot of Bowie's stuff. There is no question he was great. But Prince had more talent in his left hand than Bowie had in his entire body.

TM
Like I say, it's subjective.

It's not that Bowie was born earlier. I think he broke new musical ground that shaped modern music, years before and years after Prince was doing so.

Prince was an awesomely talented musician. Bowie couldn't touch his level of instrumental talent. But so what? There are probably hundreds of musicians you've never heard of whose talent for playing instruments exceeded Bowie's and even Prince's. Talent playing an instrument isn't the same as influence on the music world as a recording artist. To use a jazz analogy (because I can), Keith Jarrett and Cecil Taylor are both far better technical pianists than Thelonius Monk was. But Monk was head and shoulders above them in his musical influence.