LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 248
0 members and 248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #1514
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I'm just guessing that people who regularly live through famines, have assorted gulags polka dotting their country, and know life is far better in a place as close as SK, would be receptive.

Iraq was not as bad a place to live as NK. Hussein was a despot, but there was some real representative democracy (of a sort), Iraqis were free to travel, they could read foreign news, and there was a functioning economy. Also, a big part of the reason we were not greeted positively in Iraq was our own stupid decision to alienate the Baathists and dismantle the military. Had Paul Bremmer not made awful those decisions at the outset, post-invasion Iraq may have moved forward on a much different trajectory.

But yeah -- we'd probably fuck up a NK invasion as well, and find some way to make them hate us.
I have no idea myself; I don't know much about NK. But it's possible for people to hate many others, so just because they have good reason to hate their government doesn't mean we should assume they have some latent fondness for us. One's enemy's enemy is not, contrary to Confucius, always one's friend. But I have trouble believing a bunch of people from across an ocean can ever be seen as "liberators".

Any sensible person with a basic knowledge of the Middle East knew we were wading into a swamp with the invasion, all you need to do is mutter "Sykes Picot" and you know you've got a problem. And the more you know the worse it seems. Even in retrospect, I can't figure out what the mission was, something we should have known going in.