LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 388
0 members and 388 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #2271
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: icymi above

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This is an argument against engaging in research on certain topics. It doesn't address the issue of whether such research could be done.

But it does get to the point Klein hinted at -- that people like Harris should be careful about what sorts of inquiries they make. I don't know why he didn't say it as plainly as you have here, but my suspicion is he's uncomfortable, as am I, with stating, "Some studies, some data, some analyses, are better left undone, unexamined." That may be what caused me to accuse Klein of attempting censorship. It's not really censorship to say certain inquiries can embolden bad policies and should be avoided. But any open minded person recoils a little bit at the suggestion we should avoid certain questions and investigations. Or allow social or policy concerns to control how they're done.

I think we'll see a lot more controversy over research in the future. Our technological capacities increase at multiples over our abilities to consider the policy and potential social impacts of what they uncover. An endless number of potentially impolitic questions are going to be raised an answered over our lifetimes.
I'm still waiting for you to answer my Albanian quiz, the point of which is that the intellectual exercise you propose is futile.

Klein is more charitable than me. He thinks that Murray's work, if it is going to be discussed, should be put in context (not "censored"). But one has to say that with Murray because it's clear after many decades that he is going to continue to pump noxious ideas into the discussion.

Your project is different. Apart from being utterly nonsensical, no one is doing it. (Once again, please post a good example if you know of one.) That being the case, my question is: why? If it could be done, why would you do it? Would the world be a better place if you could do a lot of research and work and conclude scientifically that Albanian Romany were 87% responsible for what Germany Nazis did to them? Or 26% responsible?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 08-13-2018 at 12:10 PM..