LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 477
0 members and 477 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #3709
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Hey Sebby, Andrew Sullivan's take on #metoo seems like your cup of tea, if you haven't seen it yet. My take is that his introspection results in his sticking his head up his own ass in a tendentious misreading of people Moira Donegan and others, but ymmv.
You're correct.

But he's wrong on this: The backlash will not be public. It will take place in the HR department, in the hiring committees. It won't be right, and it won't be fair, but a campaign that convicts and sentence sthe gum thief with the same zeal it does the embezzler also isn't fair.

For every action there's a reaction? This is, generally, why people look to the French Revolution as wonderful thing, but Robespierre as an imbecile more worthy of the National Razor than the nobles preceding him.

This is what, as Sullivan aptly notes, caused a standing ovation when Welch said what needed to be said to McCarthy.

This is, of course, a reaction to Trump.

And Trump has taken a thing (many things) too far. But the reaction of serious people to him should not be something similarly overheated. The reaction should be, "This man is a fool, a sexist, and a predator. But he is also an aberration. We can and will have a post-Trump tomorrow. We will survive. 2018 will show you." And it will.

None of this is to say I don't wholeheartedly support #metoo. Men suck. Fragile, ego-driven, have to be the smartest in the room all the time... A lot of men, and particularly male lawyers, are fucking tools. I'd much rather hang out with women. They're more interesting. But despite our capacity for endless douchebaggery, even the seemingly worst of us wish women no ill. In many cases, we're just oblivious.

Movements of any kind are always a sordid mess. They can't be channeled to logic or rational circumspection. Particularly now, they must be co-opted by bullshit artists, as we saw at the Golden Globes, or expanded beyond reason. Collective catharsis is an overindulged, and highly over-rated - indeed frustratingly anti-climactic - state.

I mean, you all do realize, that's how we're all placated now. Collective exhibition, public exhortation... This is what we're given instead of actual change. This is how the revolution is televised, and sold to us, on Facebook.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 01-12-2018 at 09:53 PM..