LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 148
0 members and 148 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #704
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: The wrong question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I was just in St. Louis. The city wanted to expand the limited light rail it has to connect the city with the suburbs. The amount of anger generated from white people who think that blacks will use it to come into their neighborhoods and steal and create crime is astonishing. Proposition defeated before they could even draw something up.

The white people who are against it don't look at it as something that will improve their city, create a more connected experience, move labor efficiently, be attractive to potential employers, etc. They see it as an infringement on the bubbles they have created to keep people out.

And when I say, "bubbles," I mean that streets which are technically in the city, are private streets owned by the people who own the houses on that street. They shut them down so that only people who live there can be on them. You can't even drive on them to get to the other side. They're everywhere. And the line of demarcation between this:

and this:

is regularly a street dividing the two.

Spend some time on this site to see just how insane it is there: http://toursbyjoshwhitehead.blogspot...-st-louis.html

TM
Being from Detroit i hadn't thought of SL as having a limited rail system. I took it from the airport downtown every time I was there (several times a few years back) and it seemed feeders went to a lot of places. But you are right there were a lot of places I had to drive, the Hill as an example. Sad, if they had a plan and funding and it was voted down simply for fear of who might be brought in.