LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 168
0 members and 168 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #4583
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This is a third rail. I think anti-Muslim nonsense is xenophobia. Racism here is racism against African Americans.

This is a very unpopular position among white liberals.

I hold to it. Racism, here, is a unique thing. It should not be diluted to include religious persecution.

Mel Gibson's rant about Jews was not racism. It was xenophobia, religious hatred, and cultural bigotry. His later rant about Blacks was racism.

Given that scientifically, the term "racism" as applied to anyone is inaccurate, I'd like to retire it. Except that in context, here, it now stands for hatred of African Americans. In this regard, it should be preserved. And it should describe, at least here, mostly, if not entirely, a phenomenon where people discriminate against and hate others based on African genetic background. (Which heritage of course includes all of us... but that's just "science' again, and you get the point.)

I've never been comfortable with anti-Muslim or anti-Semitic behavior being lumped into the category of racism. It's lazy and strikes me as an attempt to opportunistically expand the term.
You may have broken a record for the most Sebby post of all time.

"I think anti-Muslim nonsense is xenophobia.'
"Racism here is racism against African Americans."
"This is a very unpopular position among white liberals."
"...the term "racism" as applied to anyone is inaccurate..."
"...I'd like to retire [the term, 'racism']"
Racism in America "in context, here, it now stands for hatred of African Americans"

You're nuts. I mean, straight up wackadoo.

TM