LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 282
0 members and 282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
On Remand

Question for Boston Litigators

I'm in New York working in the litigation department of one the firms regularly ranked in the top 3 of NYC firms. In NY, one of the best credentials for a young litigator is a stint as an AUSA in SDNY or EDNY. This applies both to lawyers looking to return to private practice specifically as trial lawyers or as general commercial litigators at major firms (where, of course, trials are relatively rare).

Is a stint in the Boston area USA's office (is Mass. one district?) similarly valued by the litigation community in Boston? Would a lawyer coming out of the Boston USA's office look especially attractive to the major Boston litigation shops/departments? (Assume, in answering these questions, the lawyer in question had very sound credentials otherwise: top school, law review, federal appellate clerkship, etc.)

I ask b/c I'm thinking of applying to AUSA's jobs. I know there is a professional bounce to having had the job in NYC. However, personal interests are pulling me to Boston. If an AUSA job in Boston is as potent a credential in the Boston market as the AUSA job in NYC is in the NYC market, my decision would be easy (assuming I get an offer).

Thanks for your help.