LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 258
0 members and 258 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #779
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Sorry to hear you're going through that issue. I hope it goes well and your child conquers the problem as quickly and completely as possible. That's got to be horribly painful.

There should be a worksheet to explain institutional racism. I don't think a lot of people understand how that works or how it's defined, which is a big part of the disconnect. There really are two forms of racism. One is personally acting or harboring racist views. Another is the societal structures all around us that perpetuate it. I think a lot of people confuse the two. I also think a lot of people accuse a person of being racist when the better way to state it without facing pushback would be to say "you're part of a racist system." If you get society, broadly, to accept that fact, who cares whether someone quibbles with whether he himself is personally a racist.
I'm going to try again, because I think you're making progress.

After reading your analysis, I think you need to add another category.

1. Institutional Racism
2. Intentionally Evil Personal Racism
3. Lower Level Racism

I think you have moved away from only acknowledging Intentionally Evil Personal Racism, which I appreciate, but you're throwing everything else into category 1. And I don't think you're wrong to say that people need to learn about how Institutional Racism is structural, permeates society, and contributes to the success of some to the active detriment of others.

So, moving on...if you acknowledge unconscious and confirmation-type biases exist (and I think they often contribute to the perpetuation of Institutional Racism even though they aren't the only factors), you're only a step away from acknowledging the grey area between Intentionally Evil Personal Racism and the state of having zero racism whatsoever (which I think you think is colorblindness, even though it is not--but let's not deal with that here).

Given the society in which we live and the value inherent in one's skin in this country, I don't think anyone is free from some level of racism. Whether you feel uncomfortable when you see a dark-skinned man walking your way or your prefer women or men with European features, we all carry it. We just carry it at different levels. Carrying it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. Recognizing and actually acknowledging that it exists in you is what is almost impossible. And White Fragility addresses that issue and I think Hank's post does as well.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 03-18-2019 at 05:47 PM..