LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 109
0 members and 109 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #1540
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: A shred of human decency would be enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I said that he had an obligation to vote for Hillary based upon the information that was available to him at the time. Hank and I - especially Hank - warned him that PA could go for Trump, and *unless* he wanted Trump to be president, he had an obligation (ETA - Hank didn't say this. I'm not sure if I used the word, but it was what I felt) to vote for Hillary. In PA, a vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein (or Gus Hall and Angela Davis) WAS A VOTE FOR TRUMP.

If he wanted to note his protest at the choices available for the major party nominees, I offered to vote for Gary or Jill in my deep red State of Podunk. He declined.

Again, this was based upon information available at the time. The fact that more stuff has come out since November is irrelevant. Sebby knew or should have known that he was casting his vote for a thin-skinned lying racist bully would could give two shits about the people of PA or WV. And that he held few or no ideological principles and would allow Ryan and McConnell a free hand on social policy.

I stand by my use of the word "obligation." Sebby knew (1) that PA was close and so a vote for anyone other than Hillary was a vote for Trump, and (2) that Trump is reprehensible. He knew that sometimes we don't like the choices* we are given, and he chose to punt so that he could disclaim responsibility for whoever won.

*I concede that many view Hillary as reprehensible. But if you really felt that, you still had a choice of two evils. If you think she is worse, then vote for Trump.

But let's face it, the "obligation" only applies if there is an assumption that he is a reasonable human being who does not wish ill for either himself or his neighbors. That is, that he have some modicum of either self-interest or empathy (not necessarily even both).