LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 169
0 members and 169 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #3843
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
It goes far beyond college. It explains the cognitive failures and flawed reasoning causing polarization. It blames a lot of the moronic idiocy on the left on universities, true, but it applies the same criticism to the right and analyzes the silos that create that side’s groupthink.

And unsurprisingly, it’s lizard brain stuff that applies pretty solidly to both sides.

They use a compelling three part analysis (three “untruths”) both sides of our polarized debates have in common.
Interesting. Can you explain? Or point to an on-line version?

I think an underrated part of polarization comes from
- people choose news that they want to hear
- technology has made it possible for anyone to publish anything, and has destroyed the financial models that previously led to consolidation in the media space
- consequently, people increasingly live in epistemic bubbles of their own choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I haven't read the book, and I don't really get a sense of college kids being overly coddled (though I've worked in an academic institution for nearly 17 years, none of mine are undergrad). But I do think THIS is an interesting examination of groupthink.
I'm not going to defend Facebook or Google, but it seems to me the forces driving this are much bigger than they are. They just figured out how to monetize effectively before a lot of people, and rode the network effects.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 11-01-2018 at 04:07 PM..