LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 210
0 members and 210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #1879
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: Discussion of Firms and Life in SF/SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Message sent to me by a friend on Facebook:
He seems to just have a few questions regarding his girlfriend/fiance/wife (I'm not sure what their status is)'s ex who is "being a pain in the ass." No idea what that means. Last I heard, they were living in the East Bay, if that makes any difference.
I would reply by PM if I had a name, but I don't. Instead I'll say what I always say in requests for a referral for family law -- it depends on the county. The bestest, most high-powered attorney in the world is useless in family court if he/she doesn't know the judge, and isn't known by the judge. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is almost no law in family law and it's all about equity (a.k.a the judge guessing which side is the shit head in any given controversy), and with so few data points it's natural for the judge to rely on the evidence of which side has the shit head lawyer. So the best family law practitioners are the ones who have been doing it 5+ years and are known for being impeccably honest even at the expense of their own clients' short term interests and have built a real reputation. Anyone else could be a shyster and you wouldn't even know it until it was too late.

I realize this is useless advice for someone who just wants a return phone call and legal advice.

BTW, everything I just said also animates my advice to people looking for a DUI defense. Best lawyer ain't shit; what you need is the guy who knows what the judge is giving out for first offenses by guys who ___________ (look like you).
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote