LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 475
0 members and 475 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #1562
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I’m a Google Manufacturing Robot and I Believe Humans Are Biologically Unfit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
The Google Manifesto grossly generalizes, and is therefore ridiculous.

But considering all that's been written about it, I ran across one odd contradiction in many criticisms.

The benefit of diversity is bringing varied viewpoints and backgrounds to work, which obviously aids efficiency and creativity. This is, of course, because these people are different from each other to some extent. Why then do so many of the same people who rightly argue that point flip out when someone highlights the differences?

Men and women are different to a degree. So are people from Kansas and NYC, or people who are gay, straight, and bisexual.

Damore's piece was bluntly stupid in suggesting women are by nature unsuited to tech. But his critics should be careful not to argue any reference to differences between men and women is heresy. A more subtle assesment, like the article you cite, of those differences makes the case for diversity.

Sadly, I doubt the loudest voices in the debate over this "Manifesto" will read her, or consider anything beyond the most blunt arguments. Which, as always, pervert, simplify, and eclipse the discussion worth having.