LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 235
0 members and 235 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #731
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: The wrong question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Do you need me to say, explicitly, "To affluent whites, blacks = lower property value"?

This isn't White Club. I can say it. But did I need to? I mean, it's fucking St. Louis, for Christ's sake.

ETA: To "southern" affluent whites. But also a lot of northern affluent whites (just much less overtly). And a lot of otherwise tolerant ones. You'd be surprised how that surgeon you know who supports gay marriage feels about the non-white neighborhood encroaching on his place.
If you think that race comes into this only as a function of economics, you are Marxist, clueless, or both. I don't think you're either. I think you're telling a story that explains away some really ugly history by suggesting that it's only about property owners trying to preserve the value of their property. Sure, just like that is all that slavery was about.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar