LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 391
0 members and 391 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #2224
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
This is not true. Black culture was specifically built as a reaction in almost every way to disadvantage and white oppression. Only food available are the throwaway parts? Make pigs feet and ham hocks. Suffer all day every day? Create spirituals, jazz, blues, rock and roll, hip hop. Forced into poverty and denied home ownership? Show off what you can when you can (clothes, jewelry, your car)--in fact, let everyone know that you actually have something in order to fight the presumption that you are black and therefore worthless and have nothing. Told you're nothing, dirt, second-class citizens? Brag about yourself a la Ali. Can't get a job? Create your own opportunities selling drugs. Punished for any type of push back? Create code language and slang to keep whites in the dark. White people co-opt what you're doing because it's forbidden and therefore cool? Abandon it immediately, making the next thing even more cool. Etc.

Black culture is completely shaped by black people's circumstances.

Catholicism is not a culture. Anyone can be Catholic. And although Catholics are looked down upon by certain people, they are not really at a disadvantage anymore. The analogy fails further because it is voluntary. Comparing the two things doesn't work unless you want to focus strictly on the religious aspects of both groups which have similar positives and negatives. But then you're just comparing religious people.

This is where you're wrong (at least when it comes to blacks as a race). Any one person can be held responsible for poor choices. But if you live in a racist system that has put you in a situation based on the impact of centuries of racism, what leads a group to act collectively (and I'm not even going to get into whatever detrimental examples of behavior are attributed to blacks that whites do not also engage in--that's a whole 'nother topic) to their detriment is the disadvantage. And that's racism.

I'm not quite sure what "fluffy data" is, but the people who want to talk about how one race acts to their own detriment are almost always racist and their "fluffy data" is completely anecdotal.

Anyway, I'm out. Away on vacation soon, so I may not respond.

TM
“Fluffy data” = Anthropological data. It’s a shit science, but the only one that does culture.

ETA: None of the reactive cultural things you cite are liabilities. Those reactions are assets.

ETA2: I really, really hate this discussion. It’s so loaded, and so stupid. Is there a serious fucking difference? Melanin? A cultural chasm has occurred over melanin? Or culture? Or religion? How fucking arbitrary can people be? I have to slog thru the gag inducing intellectual exercise of arguing how we might discern where a culture might’ve acted counter-productively in response to another that defined it as different based on melanin?

This shit makes me wonder whether evolution is real. This is lizard brain stuff at its core.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-08-2018 at 09:56 PM..