LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 118
0 members and 118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #3641
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
To me, the question is how to write effective laws rather than ineffective ones.
I think the lawyers are a big part of the problem. The fee shifting on harassment and discrimination claims encourages filing of some borderline claims. And the EEOC almost never does anything, even when you cross file, so it's just a "wait out the right to sue letter" situation in most cases, which compels litigation.

Quote:
But I'd posit conservative policy toward the workplace (pay 'em shit and give 'em no protections, and bust every union) fits the bill of "assaholic" pretty completely.
I agree. Treating workers like shit is the other side of the coin. It has caused worker distrust, which encourages anyone who can do so to try to bring a suit.

Quote:
Indeed, the kinds of business that do the legal minimum (Wallmart, I'm looking at you) generally deserve the hassles they get, I just wish all those laws were more effective in keeping them from being assholes.
Wal Mart should be surcharged for the all benefits the govts and states give to its workers. In which case, it'd earn about 25% less than it does.

Quote:
Have you seen "Superstore"? A light TV comedy that's actually pretty good at spoofing some of this stuff.
No, but I have seen ads for it and it looked pretty funny.