LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 127
0 members and 127 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #35
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Northam, Warren, Fairfax...

Quote:
I think it depends on the context. Easy for me to say, but I think a long ago black face might be forgivable from someone with a demonstrated record of working for racial equality after they accept responsibility, admit wrongdoing, express understanding of the harm and seriously apology. For example, maybe Herron's response was adequate, especially as he disclosed it himself (I don't know anything about his record). But it's not really my call and I'm mostly trying to listen on these things.
It's a really subjective thing.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Northam's bungling settles the question for me.
"It's me and I'm sorry" to "It's actually not me" is strange. When you find that photo, your handlers have to get the facts down cold, near immediately.

Quote:
I don't think it's an issue that actually moves anyone, and I'm not sure who we are pretending was harmed.
Sure it does. Warren will never get a fair hearing on the issues she raises because the media will nail her on the Native American thing relentlessly, and the right wing media machine will trumpet it so loudly no one will hear anything else. And the dumbfuck voters and TV addicts will fixate on it like the only thing of significance to this person is whether she is or isn't some percentage Native American.

Quote:
I do, but then again, I think we're all sorta racist. But they've got to do the work.
I think everybody should get a second chance. Buhhhhhhtttt... Putting on blackface? Where the fuck do we get these people? I'm biased, perhaps, but it's not like I grew up in a diverse area. We have loads of racists all over the area where I was raised. But if you put on black face, two things would happen: You'd get your ass beaten down, and people would think you were a seriously fucked up freak. You have to be a damn strange fuck to put on blackface. (Unless you're Robert Downey in Tropic Thunder.)