LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 155
0 members and 155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #3953
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
On that spectrum of behavior that ranges from "shared a meaningful, respectful, generous, and fulfilling night" to "rape," there lies a point where he may think they were having fun, hasn't forced her to do anything and yet hasn't acted in a way his sexual partner feels happy about.
That point is as soon as she feels he has done something coercive, disrpectful or non-consensual degrading. There's no point after she feels victimized where his privacy nevertheless wins out.

I really don't think you disagree with that although you seem to want to reserve your own judgment as to whether she was reasonable in feeling victimized. I get that sentiment - she could be truly off the wall - but I'm deeply wary of deciding that for anyone given that I have no experience at all of being in those shoes.

Quote:
But you keep arguing that he should have absolutely no expectation of privacy in a situation in which he may not have even picked up on how he made someone feel uncomfortable.
I don't really think his lack of awareness comes into it, exactly because the point here is that the change we are looking for is that he be more aware.

Quote:
. When he is seeking out someone who he thinks will be discrete and chooses partners carefully, that's evidence that he has an expectation that they respect his privacy.
Huh. I think it's exactly the opposite. I think it's that he doesn't expect privacy that he needs to be particularly careful to find someone who will afford him unexpected consideration.

Quote:
Just because people are shitty, he shouldn't expect them not to be
I guess I think that's what "expect" ⎌means.