LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 103
0 members and 103 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #78
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Trade, immigration, and debt. That's it. The NeverTrumpers are classic Rockefeller republicans on trade, believe (admirably, and based on historical, factual proof) that immigration improves this nation, and fear growing govt debt.

They used to also detest Trump's isolationist rhetoric, many of them being neocons. The installation of Bolton fixed that problem.

I think a lot of NeverTrumpers also believe Trump is simply too indecent to hold high office.

Apropos, here's Bill Kristol being brutally honest about why we need immigrant intellectual and cultural capital. I usually find him near nauseating, but he's right here, and it's pretty funny when he realizes he's mic'd.
That's not a terrible list. Trade is a pretty big issue, and I would say that conservatives lament the loss of any party that even pays lip service to the concept of limited government. A lot of it is just the intellectual dishonesty among the Trump faithful. If I would freak out if something were done by a Democrat, I am not going cheer when it is done by a Republican. It seems intellectual honesty is in depressingly short supply.

I am also even more angry about the attacks on amazon, and the fact that such attacks are based either in ignorance or lies. I find that the president attacking amazon is equally distasteful to the flushing of taxpayer money down the crapper with Solyndra.

You all know that I have drunk the Kool Aid of conservatism, and that I am if nothing else a True Believer. It's been dispiriting to see how many former conservatives have debased themselves by allegiance to their troll king. I believe that enacting conservative principles could do a great good for contemporary American society, but we don't have the numbers.

I also believe that such discussions should be had honestly, and as the much despised Kevin Williamson (whom I met last month at a National Review Institute event honoring the 10th anniversary of the passing of WFB) recently said in his piece called The Epidemic of Dishonesty on the Right: "And we should be ashamed of ourselves if we come to accept this kind of dishonesty in the service of political expediency. If conservative ideas cannot prevail in the marketplace of ideas without lies, they do not deserve to prevail at all."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...esty-epidemic/

Unfortunately in "conservative media" you get paid a lot more to be a spineless shill than you do to be intellectually honest. Sean Hannity is a hack and this is probably the best money he is capable of making. OTOH, people like Laura Ingraham know better, but still choose to ring the cash register instead.