LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 151
0 members and 151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #4032
sebastian_dangerfield

bankrupt

I used to tell creditor clients who were being sued by bankruptcy trustees to disgorge what are called "preferences" (payments made by the debtor shortly before the debtor's filing) that "In bankruptcy, everything is upside down. A creditor like you, who is entitled to what you received, gets sued. That's how it works."

They'd get really pissed. No matter how you explain it, everything being upside down seems fundamentally wrong and unfair.

I just watched the interview with those Duke Lacrosse players. To recap last week, a group of kids who were pretty much known to be innocent very early in an investigation were nevertheless prosecuted by a DA for political gain, and now, after they'd finally been exonerated, they're saying on "60 Minutes" that the DA should have the benefit of due process to determine if he was wrong and should lose his license, and that they think he deserves a fair chance to defend himself. And he will get a trial

In another interview, a group of women who were insulted by a radio personality admirably took the high road and accepted the apology of the old cretin. Their coach, who was possibly the only honest and helpful person to speak in the entire affair, said they didn't even seek to have him fired. This week, the old coot raised $1.6 million for cancer research. He was fired.

So the DA who did something atrocious and criminal gets due process. The disc jockey with the tin ear for the line where humor becomes offensive to some gets shitcanned summarily.

And the executioners? One anti-Semite who famously called Jews "hymies" and a total joke of a person who's barely worth comment. Neither man has ever held a job so far as I can discern from internet research. Two people who make their money dividing people.

The Duke and Rutgers kids are to be applauded. I was really shocked at the composure they showed. As to Jesse and Al, it's a terrible fact that none of the death threats made against them will be acted upon (most Americans being lazy), to the great detriment of decent people everywhere. As to Nifong, may he find himself flipping burgers this time next year. As to Imus, lets hope the dumbass learns some decency so he doesn't do this again when he gets back on the air.