LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 115
0 members and 115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #30
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Northam, Warren, Fairfax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Serious Question:

What's the expiration date, or statute of limitations, for attacking a politician for an ancient sin?

Warren's 1986 bar card is now an issue? Is this what we're going to use to evaluate her today? Even if she was lying intentionally, does this eclipse all of her policies? Her ideas are now invalid because she lied about ancestry 33 years ago?

Northam's photos are appalling, and it's impossible to defend him based on lack of judgment alone (assuming he's not racist or has evolved considerably from what he was when he posed for those photos). But let's say he was a guy like Robert Byrd, who was in the KKK, and admitted it, but disavowed it later in life and pushed anti-racist policies while a legislator. If we could go back in time, should he (and Byrd) have been denied the ability to attain office for life?

Then you have this Fairfax incident. This is an old allegation, and so far as I see, the guy has no others lodged against him, and the timing suggests Northam is using it against him. Maybe it's not the best idea to elevate what appears to be a political hit-job to the level of probably-true-accusation?

I don't think a racist or sex predator deserves much of a second chance, as I don't believe people with those issues really "evolve" very much. But that's my bias. There are probably a number of people who do evolve beyond awful things they thought and did decades ago. And certainly, that one considered herself a native American, or used it for political gain, 30 years ago, seems to be an indictment long past its sell-by date.

Maybe we should put a statute of limitation on relevance of past acts? Maybe 15 years for non-violent bad behaviors? Because these gotcha attacks are just getting stupid, and they're potentially costing us decent candidates with policies worthy of debate, like Warren, while people like Trump and Richard Blumenthal are inexplicably given passes.

Sometimes, the way things were done in the past are preferable. In the past, a politician's bad acts or dumb statements could in most instances be forgotten or swept under the rug. This allowed us to have serial philanderers like JFK in office, or libertines like Charlie Wilson in Congress. Our modern day peanut gallery of internet sleuths ripping down people like Warren simply for the sheer glee of destroying her is doing no one any favors.

We need a right to be forgotten, at least for politicians, or we're even more fucked than we think.
I know you don't Facebook, but I think you can access this without an account: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00008083698763 If you can't, let me know and I'll cut /paste in a PM for you.

This has to do with Liam Neeson thing, but I think it comes down to "how are you today?" This particular author comes down on the side of "clearly he is appalled at his past behavior and has learned something from it" with regard to Neeson. It's going to come down to a case-by-case basis, I think. With Warren, I think she's handled this entire issue badly, and so it's going to dog her for quite some time. With Northam, he fumbled right out of the gate and hasn't recovered. We'll see what happens with the AG guy. Since he's the one bringing it forward and presumably he's seen the mess Northam made, maybe he'll be able to present it better and convince the world that that isn't him anymore.

But as the piece above says, there are a shit-ton of people out there with downright racist pasts. Republicans don't seem to care as much about whether their candidates were (or are) racist/sexist/xenophobic/etc. I would have said they have a Jesus litmus test, but, well, Trump. Democrats do. But they don't know how to handle people who evolve.

I think a lot of it goes to the fact that no one deserves to be on top. NO ONE. And for each of the "oops, I wore blackface" idiots out there, there are plenty of perfectly good replacements who not once even considered it. And often they are the very people who the idiot was marginalizing/mocking/disparaging.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79