LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 154
0 members and 154 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #1283
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
This stems from the border issue. I've not read much about that issue, but one would hope the focus on that cruel practice would bleed over to a focus on the impact of ludicrous sentences on the children of inmates.

I understand we should not allow people to avoid justice simply because they have families. But the children of inmates have committed no crimes. Jailing a young mother for a decade under a mandatory minimum drug charge* sentences the kid to a lousy childhood and higher likelihood of committing a crime him/herself.

I doubt this conversation will take place, however. If we'll effectively jail kids of people who've committed no crimes, there's 0000.00 chance we'd consider mercy for the kids of those who have actually done so.

_____
*Or, really, almost any other crime, as sentence is based on the amount of loss some prosecutor can attach to the crime (usually speculative and puffed to 5X the actual loss), reminding all Americans: The most significant rights, if not the only rights, our state and fed governments give even a hint of a shit about are property rights. And if you doubt this, compare sentences for violent crime other than murder to crimes involving economic loss. Steal money, go away for a decade. Rape somebody, do three years, out in two and change with good behavior.