LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 122
0 members and 122 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 AM   #1947
Jack Manfred
For the People

Re: Discussion of Firms and Life in SF/SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Ruysbroeck View Post
Wow, this whole discussion was exactly what I came here for. I knew you guys would have some good advice about SF.

I've been going through some major life changes over the last year and the current plan being discussed is a move to SF. Kids are on the horizon, so this discussion has been very helpful.

It's unlikely that we'll have much of a support network if we move, though my SO's sister and BF might make the move with us. We may even be able to convince SO's mom to make the move. My brother and his wife may end up in San Diego in a couple of years, but if we go out there alone, I'm worried it will be tough to have kids there.

Option B is Boston, where my SO is from and where her family currently lives.

Anyone have experience living north of SF proper? What's on the other side of that big red bridge, anyway? All comments, including snarky ones, are appreciated. Thanks.
When I worked in SF, the rainmaker at my firm lived in Marin. I agree with the comments about Santa Rosa and Petaluma. A recent article named Healdsburg best small town in the US, but I wouldn't try to start a law practice there.

Do NOT live in Richmond. Or Vallejo. Much of Oakland is up-and-coming. If you wanted to start a family in the Bay Area, Livermore might be a good option. That's east and south of SF. They have wineries there that are less prestigious than those in Napa and Sonoma. It would be a LONG commute on BART to the City.

I've heard San Diego has a nascent wine industry in the north of the County. That's a small legal market, but bigger than Napa/Sonoma. Also, some BIGLAW set up shops in Northern San Diego near newer subdivisions. If your relatives were definitely going to move there, it could be worth seeing if there were work opportunities for you and your wife. San Diego is more of a beer town than a wine town, but if she was a chemist or worked on the production side, there are lots of craft breweries there.

If you have issues with the weather, Chicago and Boston don't seem like good options. There's some legal work in Santa Barbara. Beautiful area, good wine, perfect weather. That would be the life.