LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 136
0 members and 136 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Thread: Texas Politics
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #29
evenodds
prodigal poster

More Fun With Tom DeLay

NBC investigated his fundraising telemarketing of an "award."

"AIR FORCE CHAPLAIN James Helton says he was flabbergasted when he first heard the news from his wife. “She told me you’ve been selected for a national award by Congressman DeLay, and they really want you to call the office.”
_ _ _ _Helton wondered why a powerful Republican leader would want to honor a humble Air Force reservist and quickly returned the call. He was so upset by what he heard that he invited NBC News to record the conversation when he called back a second time.
_ _ _ _First there was a recorded message: “This is Congressman Tom DeLay. I’m asking you to serve as an honorary chairman on our business advisory council, and you will be recognized with our national leadership award.”
_ _ _ _Then, a telemarketer came on the line: “You’d be invited to private dinners with congressmen and quarterly strategy sessions in Washington.”
_ _ _ _In the call, Helton was also promised an exclusive black-tie president’s dinner and his name in a newspaper ad."
. . . .

"Past awardees include a convicted sex offender and a maker of drug paraphernalia — both awards were later rescinded. "

http://www.msnbc.com/news/991699.asp