LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 123
0 members and 123 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #1818
Not Bob

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
I have been trying to ignore this entire discussion about the Senate. But is it really so hard to understand that two chambers of Congress, one with proportional representation and one with equal representation was literally a precondition of the constitutional union of the states? It is quite literally called the Great Compromise, because states both populous and rural had these exact same concerns then, especially when the western colonies were claiming land all the way to the west coast.

Same thing with the electoral college, which has also fallen out of favor on the left, which was also put in place so Hillary would have to visit states like Wisconsin and not just NY and CA or TX. I guess I don't understand why there's not more effort to just appeal to voters in the middle of the country, rather than try to constantly complain about something you're not going to be able to change.
Agreed on all of the above (with the strong caveat that not all of the compromises made in Philadelphia during that long hot summer are defensible).

I would add that we Liberal Snowflakes should spend our attention to fighting voter suppression laws and gerrymandering.