LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 177
0 members and 177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #1923
Flinty_McFlint

Re: Discussion of Firms and Life in SF/SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
ok, I didn't scroll back far enough on return from vacation. I'm very sorry to hear about the miscarriage. Man, that sucks.

The way I know to sell the pennisula is not to sell it as suburbia, but as some odd mix of urban, exurban, college town, and tech campus living. It's something I've half-heartedly tried to do periodically, but never successfully. The area also has always struck me as having more diversity with less tension over race and ethnicity than just about anywhere, which is very cool. The other selling point I'd suggest is that it may be easier to raise a kid in a place where you don't have to worry about whether the science textbooks give evolution and creationism equal billing. And don't underestimate the boost SF can give someone working in arts/entertainment.

But, yeah, being near family is pretty great when wee ones come round.
We have tensions just like every other major American center, but I can tell you that the likelihood of a LA riot situation happening here seems just really low to me. We protest and march and disrupt traffic, and overturn an occasional bus or cop car, but LA just seems much less cohesive a community--probably because it's just so large, and there's lots of influx from all over, and less "homegrown" spirit. Eh, what do I know, Fruitvale happened here, people get shot in SF, Oak, EPA, San Jose all the time.