LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 282
0 members and 282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #1212
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I don't think one can exclusively follow smart people and solid sources on Facebook. Particularly when the group providing sources is friends.

You've got some dumb and deluded friends and family. We all do. They're going to post shit, and the algorithms are going to silo what you get in terms of suggested stories based on what they post. You get shit on your shoe no matter how much you try to stay above it.

Which is why I don't do Bookface. I know the people I want to know, and I stay in touch. I don't give a fuck what someone I knew in high school, or some third cousin, thinks about anything. Fuck them. I'm not in touch with them for a reason.
I'm not sure why this is any more of an issue than in real life. I have plenty of idiotic friends. I am able to edit what they say, ignore what is stupid, and take what I need from every interaction outside of Facebook. This worry that somehow these morons will completely influence me there as opposed to anywhere else is ridiculous.*

I don't give a fuck about what acquaintances from HS think either. But I have a number of acquaintances from college and law school who post very thoughtful shit that helps fill out my perspective and since I can't read everything, I am often pleased to find an article that I might not have found on my own. You know, kind of like here.

TM

*Please note that I fully understand that there are a lot of people who simply get their news straight from the feed and never read any articles (and don't have the capacity to understand half the shit they agree with or disagree with anyway). And I think we're all in agreement that those people are the ones being influenced by Cambridge Analytica, Russian troll farms, etc.

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-13-2018 at 06:45 PM..