LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 150
1 members and 149 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #40
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Northam, Warren, Fairfax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I mean, that's why Northam's "I don't know if it's me" is so hard to believe, but then people used to do lots of stupid shit. People are doing stupid shit right now.

I recall my friend group in college having a "pimps and hoes" party (I can't recall if I attended, seems likely, but doubtful I put much effort into dressing up), a concept that is essentially acting out stereotypes. Is that really so different?
Piecing through his various statements, I think that he had never seen the yearbook and assumed the picture was the Michael Jackson one, saw the picture, then had to explain that yeah, I was once in blackface, but not THAT blackface.

And I suppose if one had to rank blackface Michael Jackson would be slightly better than prop in Klan group costume. But really, it's not better.

Coincidentally, the night all of this was going down, my husband and I watched BlackkKlansman and we talked about how weird it must have been for the actors to have to wear those robes and say that dialogue. And how hard it must have been for Spike Lee to write it. My husband read that Spike Lee channeled Richard Pryor writing Blazing Saddles and almost wrote it as an absurd comedy so as to get through it.

Also, the story the cop tells the Klan to get immediately accepted as a bona fide racist is nearly EXACTLY the same one that Liam Neeson tells. It's a sister instead of unidentified relative, but it's nearly identical.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79