LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 387
0 members and 387 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #36
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If I read that correctly, the bottom line is that if you do a sober scientific analysis, there are all sorts of reasons to think there has been nothing unusual about the degree to which the Patriots fumble the ball. Nonetheless, the author thinks it's good that someone started the debate by writing a less-than-fully scientific, sensational article that made dubious claims, because it got us all into a nice debate over statistical analysis. If you are a stats geek who lives for the day that everyone else cares about stats too, I can see that line of thinking.
I don't think you read it correctly. I posted it because I thought it was a fair look at the entire debate. You can only see the refutation of "a less-than-fully scientific, sensational article that made dubious claims," while ignoring stuff like this:

"Sharp’s version of this study found a huge effect of 88 percent. But after others fixed his data, some of the same players still showed an improvement when playing for New England, of 23 percent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'm not going to search to check, but I think that article misstates an important fact about the now-infamous Colts game. IIRC, and I may not, only one of the balls the Pats used was significantly below the limit. FWIW.
Right. You know, it's funny. I say that it probably shouldn't be more than a 2 game suspension. I agree that Goodell is mostly posturing. But when it comes to you, it's clear that with any issue when it comes to the Patriots, you're not really trying.

"The report said all 11 of the Patriots' game balls, when re-tested at halftime, were below the minimum level specified by NFL rules of 12.5 psi. The four Colts game balls that were re-tested were between 12.5 and 13.5 psi, so they were within the rules."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...173408354.html

Whatever. I thought the NFL was pretty ridiculous about this whole thing (too harsh a penalty due to posturing, ridiculous timing of the release of the Wells report, etc.). But you and Burger have been so ridiculous about trying to explain actual fucking cheating away that I'm embarrassed for you.

But hey! Maybe you can just work for the Patriots!: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/patrio...161111297.html

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 05-14-2015 at 02:44 PM..
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote