LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 158
0 members and 158 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #5030
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be rediculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
If it makes you feel better, the NYT editorial board seems to agree with you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/o...imes&smtyp=cur

If it makes you feel worse, I think this part of the editorial is as off as much of what you wrote:

'The Obamas are starting a foundation whose work will include “training and elevating a new generation of political leaders in America,” Eric Schultz, an Obama adviser, said in a statement. “President Obama will deliver speeches from time to time. Some of those speeches will be paid, some will be unpaid, and regardless of venue or sponsor, President Obama will be true to his values, his vision, and his record.”

But why not elevate a new generation of political leaders and stay true to his values by giving his speech fees to his foundation and other charities focused on those goals?'

This supreme focus on what they don't like and the short shrift given to his plans for public service is just irresponsible.

TM
I think it is both true that editorial boards encourage otherwise normal people to engage in tut-tutting, and that people who like to engage in tut-tutting are disproportionately drawn to editorial boards.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar