LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 132
0 members and 132 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #113
NotFromHere
No title

First to jump ship

OLYMPIA — Two-term Republican Rep. Rodney Tom of Bellevue said today he is quitting the Republican Party to run for the state Senate as a Democrat.

"I realized the far right has complete control of the party and for me to be effective for my constituents I need to be a Democrat," Tom said.

He said being a Democrat is not only a better fit for the changing political demographic of the 48th Legislative District, but a more comfortable fit for his ideology, which includes support for legal abortion, gay rights and higher taxes for transportation.

The 48th Legislative District covers some of the state's most upscale suburbs, including Bellevue, Redmond and Medina. It was once solidly Republican but in recent years voters have shifted. Tom's seatmate in the House is Democrat Ross Hunter. Voters in the district voted for Democrat John Kerry for president in 2004.

I was surprised to learn the Bellevue was the hotbed of Republican activity. Although most of the Republicans I know live on the east side. But I thought the real real Republicans lived much farther east. Turns out it was Medina all along.