LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 162
0 members and 162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #3974
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
This is one of those times when I realize I spent too much time talking to economists.

Sure there will be unit prices. Those unit prices exist now, and are the subject of bargaining between your provider and your insurer, which has a strong interest in forcing them down. If you have to pay for your preventative care yourself, you can't rely on the insurer for that function. You're going to shop around. How often you shop around will depend on your tolerance for collecting unit price information from different providers for the different things and assessing the likelihood that you will need to purchase the different units, and also on your switching costs.

If you think that world is going to produce lower prices, you are totally nuts. No one wants to do that stuff, which is why they are happy to pay an insurer to do it for them. The insurer can do it for a bunch of people at once, taking advantage of economies of scale and scope, and is more sophisticated about this stuff than you are, avoiding information asymmetries.

Prices are completely transparent right now to the insurer, which is the entity with which the provider is negotiating prices. There is plenty of competition between providers, and insurers.

It is true that if you see zero marginal cost to doing a procedure, the cost to your insurer is no disincentive, and you may overconsume. However, your insurer has thought of that, and is very interested in keeping you from obtaining healthcare you don't need. As others pointed out, this is not so much of a problem with preventative care, which is why it's a little odd for you to focus here. Preventative care is not that expensive, and it has the nice effect of reducing costs down the road. So in fact there is a danger in preventing people from buying insurance to cover it, since they may then under consume.

It doesn't benefit consumers to force them to participate in a market they don't want to be in. Would you rather buy a pass that lets you ride the bus for a month, or would you rather negotiate whether and how much you'll pay each time you board? If you take the bus much at all, and I'm sure you don't, you'll know it's the former.
1. People have never been offered an option to the TPA system. It's been the rule for as long as anyone can recall. Hence, the assumption people prefer it doesn't hold.

2. That people are joining concierge practices indicates people do not resoundingly prefer a TPA structure. They prefer direct purchase.

3. Insurance is a far bigger headache to consumers than direct price shopping.

4. Here's the important point...

Providers inflate unit prices enormously to offset the discount insurers demand. This inflates costs across the board, including costs for catastrophic and chronic care.

Pull the insurer out of one form of care, preventative, and you'll remove the inflated price charged by providers in that area. Where the provider charged $1000 for something in order to get $150 from an insurer, now it'll only be able to charge the direct consumer something along a lines of $150, the true value of the service. When that price falls, so to will the prices charged for catastrophic and chronic care, as they inform each other.

You see where I'm going. Pull the inflating mechanism out of any single area of care (preventative, chronic, or catastrophic), and it deflates or at least flatlines or pares the level on increase in the prices in the others. I only chose to apply it to preventative care first because that's the only care a consumer could afford to purchase directly.