LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 247
0 members and 247 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #2151
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Re: Is this the Travel Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post

The second is Europe for three weeks in June and July. I'll be flying into Berlin (with an afternoon layover in Stockholm) and we're renting a car and are hitting (at a minimum) -- Nuremburg, Vienna, Munich, Trieste, Venice, Milan, Turin and Marseille. Eventually making our way back to fly out of Dusseldorf. I've never been to central Europe, but my traveling companion is a dual citizen (South Africa and Germany) with family he'll be visiting before I arrive in northern Germany (he has traveled a lot in Germany and speaks German, so a lot of the coordinating for the Germany parts will be handled by him). I'm curious: if you had an itinerary in that general part of the world, what are the can't miss spots? Where will we want more or less time? Any other thoughts? We'll be trying to find lodging on the cheap (since we'll have a car, maybe outside of the bigger cities) so if you have any suggestions relating to that, I'd love to hear them too. No shared room hostels, but maybe private room hostels or AirBnb type stuff...
I've been to Munich and Vienna in recent years - I'd say at least a couple of days in each, potentially more (depending on the pace you like and what else you want to see - museums, beer halls, parks, old stuff?)

As for the car, are you planning to spend most of your time in cities or do you want to spend a decent amount of time looking around between cities? My general view for Europe you're better off without a car unless you're planning to spend a lot of time outside cities. Driving and parking in cities is a hassle. So, consider for example, driving to Munich but then taking train to Vienna. Drive to Trieste, but train to Venice and then even to Milan (it's been a few years since I drove the A4 Autostrada, which runs Venice to Milan, but I recall it being miserable in terms of traffic.)