LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 142
0 members and 142 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #72
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Complementary, Holistic and Alternative medicine for pets

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Thanks for the advice. Actually I am interested in "complementary medicine" which is a combinatino of traditional western vet medicine and a more homeopathic approach. For example, I have done some research that indicates that it is potentially unhealthy to vacinate pets once a year, as it stresses the immune system and some of the vacinnes last for several years. But many and most vets just do the annual vaccinatino cuase its a business after all. I want a more centered and mindful approach to vet medicine which takes into account all the western options but also alternative therapies. See Animal Wellness magazine for an idea of what I speak of. I am not at this point looking for a kitty chiropractor or doggie acupunturist.
The Elk-puppy only gets the vacinations that are required by law. For the others we do annual testing. Her diet is all natural, can't bring myself to do BARF (Bones And Raw Food) though she does get lots of human grade snacks.

Check out the following sites for info on a vet in your area:
http://www.theavh.org/members/AVH_list1.htm and www.altvedmed.com. There are lots of books on the subject. I recommend Martin Goldstein's The Nature of Animal Healing.

I've known several people who have used holistic vets and the BARF diet with great success. One friend's dog had parvo as a puppy and couldn't make it through the day/night without an accident. After a few months on a holistic remedy, she was fine. The remedy helped to rebuild her stomach lining.

My trainer's dog was diagnosed with a tumor and given a few days to live. That was over 3 years ago. He (the dog) is alive and well today. The trainer swears it is the diet.

You are what you eat is true even for critters.