LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 257
0 members and 257 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #73
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
But I don't understand why one can't discuss a rule that I don't understand. As far as I can tell, the only responses I got were of the "it prevents players from camping out on one end of the field," variety. When I asked why that's a concern since the other team could either take an advantage of one fewer player against them on defense or leave a player back to guard against cherry-picking, all I heard was silence. I've since researched it a bit and spoken to people who actually understand the game and apparently, the rule is supposed to protect the beauty of the perfectly-timed pass. Makes sense, I guess. I still think if you removed the rule, there would be more (or maybe different, to be fair) strategy. If it turned into one team dumping the ball into the other team's end--similar to hockey--that would ruin it.

TM

I didn't say we can't discuss that rule. I honestly enjoyed that discussion.

But, I think I realized the true answer sometime after the discussion ended.

The offsides rule does not apply on a corner kick. On a corner kick, the players all jam up in front of the goal, and everyone jumps around hoping to get a lucky tip into the goal. Sometimes you see beautiful scoring plays off a corner kick, but more often it's a lot of junky hits on the ball, and the goalie really can't do anything but try to punch the ball -- no playing angles, no coordinating the defense, nothing.

Imagine every offensive play allowing for that -- players running just to get into the box, or hanging back on offense so that they can run back, and the offense reduced to "just kick the ball really hard towards to goal and hope someone manages to pop it in". I think you'd get a higher-scoring game, but one that was essentially a series of "corner" kicks -- with the corner being whatever midfield point where a player thought "I have enough teammates in the box to take a shot and hope for the best."

You would lose all of the passing and technique that is designed to open up the defense (but that, I acknowledge, in the hands of some teams becomes boring as paste, e.g. Greece).