LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 314
0 members and 314 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #146
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
The fallout explains what was intended, which, as you say, was to prevent goal-hanging.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...o-present.html

I think it's hard to say exactly what would happen if you eliminated the rule altogether (which is unrealistic) or modified it somehow (more realistic) because it usually takes awhile to figure out the impact of radical changes. We've had a 3-point line in basketball for over 30 years, but it's taken a while for the game to develop to the drive and kick strategy so prevalent now - in the 80s 3 pointers weren't nearly the large part of the offense they are now.

I suspect that true goal hanging wouldn't really work. Long balls played to a striker would generally not meet their mark, and the GK will have an advantage in those circumstances anyway. Question I think that needs to be answered is whether a modification of the rule could open up play but not change the game too much.
Generally, the forward who is offside is not going to have a ball passed to em generally. It's to prevent opportunistic goals when the ball gets loose. It also prevents the game from devolving into one where the goalies just boot the ball to the far end of the field, the offside player's kick is stopped, and the ball sails over the rest of the players' heads to do the same thing on the other side.