LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 120
1 members and 119 guests
sebastian_dangerfield
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #4443
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Not since Trump. Whatever policy he floats appears to be loathsome until proven benign, or perhaps even decent. There was a similar thing with Bush. And Obama (with Slave, when he used to post here).

I don't agree with that. When ideas are discussed here, there's a pile-on effect and the arguments become quite blunt.

You realize doubling the standard deduction helps a lot of modest income people who are in the rental market.

And capping the SALT and mortgage interest deductions, although petulant and fucked up measures, do take from the affluent and redistribute to the middle class.

True. But what you and I see as crumbs are real dollars to the lower middle class.

Maybe now you do.

I don't follow that.

I just offered one. What would be your problem with doubling the standard deduction and capping mortgage interest deductions? (I'd geographically adjust the latter to stop punishing people in NY/CA/CT/NJ as the current cap does.)

I never said I was. But I am pretty much the only person who disagrees with anyone here on this stuff.

I happily accept that description.

If you scan back to the days of Bush, I'd surmise you'll see a 10 to 1 ratio of "Invective toward the GOP" vs. "Favorable comment on the GOP." I'm not making it up when I say this place leans left.

The conservative on this board would be...? There is none. I'm not even a conservative.

Have I lazily generalized and ignored some thoughtful positions? Sure. Guilty. But it's damn hard not to do so.

TM
I give up. It's like you can't hold a conversation. Your "not since Trump" and "scan back to the days of Bush" bullshit shows that you believe what you believe. Sebby gonna Seb. If I say, the invective language towards Bush and Trump is based on what they actually said and did while in office, that is meaningless to you for some reason. So, whatever. There's no point trying to get through to you.

TM