LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 422
0 members and 422 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #3269
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
I think most people who "vote with their wallet" actually do believe in something. They believe that they are paying for things that others are not and they don't want to.
Nah. Mostly it's just greed. The people who get mad about welfare are too dumb to grasp how little of our budget it occupies. "Keep your hands off my medicare" crowd. Angry middle class whiners.

Quote:
There is nothing you can say to them about collective responsibility or how insurance works or why it's in everyone's interest to have a healthy, educated society.
I agree in principle, but we aren't going to get that via HC. We only get that when people stop eating shit and Big Junk Food and Big Pharma stop using these poor fucks as ATMs.
Quote:
I think a lot of it goes back to who they think is getting the benefit of their taxed dollars. When the narrative was this:

Grapes of Wrath scene photo omitted.

the support for a robust safety net was strong. When Nixon, Reagan, and others switched it to this:

"Welfare mothers" scene omitted.

then it became about something entirely different. And this is where we are. We can have an intelligent conversation about government inefficiencies. But almost everyone (that I've ever spoken to) who talks about their tax money being wasted eventually brings up having to pay for the lazy, drug-addicted, crime-prone, takers. And I think we all know what images those words conjure in this country.
Totally 100% true. Try arguing with one of these Archie Bunkers about how the defense budget is a waste of money. That elicits seriously stupid replies. The same angry middle class people who think they're being swindled by welfare queens love the idea that we're building battleships and aircraft in the most inefficient ways that even Don Rumsfeld said we did not need. When Don Rumsfeld tells Congress the defense budget is a bloated mess, it's a bloated mess.

The people who bitch about paying for others are manipulated, simple. They're not tax voters. They're miserable cranks. The tax voters of consequence do their voting through their accountants and lobbyists.

TM[/QUOTE]